DreamAside

Default Microsoft Word Copy / Paste Question

When I have just Interenet Explorer open and copy text, if I proceed to load
Microsoft Word and paste the text, I cannot do so. The text seems to
"disappear" according to Word. But if I copy and paste when both programs are
open, it works fine. How do I fix this? It's remarkably irritating!
Chuck Davis

"DreamAside" wrote in message
news
When I have just Interenet Explorer open and copy text, if I proceed to
load
Microsoft Word and paste the text, I cannot do so. The text seems to
"disappear" according to Word. But if I copy and paste when both programs
are
open, it works fine. How do I fix this? It's remarkably irritating!

This would be a function of Windows, not Word. I suggest posting to the
appropriate Windows Newsgroup.

If you got Word as part of Works Suite, the problem is the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word, which clears the Clipboard on starting Word. You can
uninstall the add-in (through Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs) without
losing any functionality if you are using Word freestanding (not starting it
from the Works Task Launcher).

"DreamAside" wrote in message
news
When I have just Interenet Explorer open and copy text, if I proceed to

load
Microsoft Word and paste the text, I cannot do so. The text seems to
"disappear" according to Word. But if I copy and paste when both programs

are
open, it works fine. How do I fix this? It's remarkably irritating!

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 05:21:01 -0800, "DreamAside"
wrote:

When I have just Interenet Explorer open and copy text, if I proceed to load
Microsoft Word and paste the text, I cannot do so. The text seems to
"disappear" according to Word. But if I copy and paste when both programs are
open, it works fine. How do I fix this? It's remarkably irritating!

I'm guessing that your copy of Word is part of Works Suite. If so, go
to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and uninstall the Works Suite
Add-In for Word. That add-in, among other misdeeds, clears the
clipboard when you start Word. You're far better off without it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Beth Melton

If you find the issue isn't caused by the Works Suite add-in for Word,
as Suzanne and Jay have suggested in this thread, then take a look at
this article for additional information on locating the cause:

"WD: The Windows Clipboard Content is Modified When Word Starts"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"DreamAside" wrote in message
news
When I have just Interenet Explorer open and copy text, if I proceed
to load
Microsoft Word and paste the text, I cannot do so. The text seems to
"disappear" according to Word. But if I copy and paste when both
programs are
open, it works fine. How do I fix this? It's remarkably irritating!

DreamAside

Wow! Thank you Suzanne, Jay and Beth - I deleted the Add-In and the problem
disappeared! I am absolutely thrilled- thank you SO much! I really appreciate
your help.