Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default alphabetizing

How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that don't?
--
Hokie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Can you strip out the punctuation marks?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that
don't?
--
Hokie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wayne Wayne is offline

Of course that would make it simple... to alphabetize... but then I'd have to
locate all of the poems among 986 pages of titles and put the quotation marks
back.
--
Hokie

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that
don't?
--
Hokie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

So you want to sort but ignore punctuation? I'd be tempted to sort them then
rearrange the others manually. But that's just me.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that
don't?
--
Hokie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could use a wildcard search to remove the parentheses and quotes
-- and in the same pass to apply, say, a color to the affected lines;
then sort the entries; then do another wildcard search to remove the
color and replace the parens and quotes.

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that
don't?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wayne Wayne is offline

Does that mean that there is no way to "automatically" do it? If so, then
I'll just have to gut it out... with approximately 50,000 titles to
alphabetize, perhaps 1500 of which have quotation marks.... a LOT of hand
work.

--
Hokie

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined) that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some that
don't?
--
Hokie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Wayne,

Well no there is no such thing a wishing Word would do something and it
happen automatically. You have to take certain steps. Peter (grammatim)
gave you the steps. You could put similar steps in a macro and then run the
macro on your list:

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim oRng As Word.Range
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng.Find
.Text = """*"""
.MatchWildcards = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
While .Execute
oRng.Text = Mid(oRng.Text, 2, Len(oRng.Text) - 2)
oRng.Font.Color = wdColorBrightGreen
Wend
End With
ActiveDocument.Range.Sort
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
With oRng.Find
.Font.Color = wdColorBrightGreen
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
While .Execute
oRng.Text = Chr(34) & oRng.Text & Chr(34)
oRng.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic
Wend
End With
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined)
that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some
that
don't?
--
Hokie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Greg's macros tend to work first time, every time. (But he didn't add
the link to his "How to load a macro" page!)

If you're likely to need to do this more than once, then definitely
use the macro.

"Wayne" wrote in message
How does one alphabetize a list (e.g. poems and novels, combined)
that
includes some items with leading / trailing parentheses and some
that
don't?

Alphabetizing Help Empaine Microsoft Word Help 2 July 17th 07 02:34 AM
alphabetizing Lorinda Microsoft Word Help 1 February 19th 07 02:12 AM
Alphabetizing Sharonpl Microsoft Word Help 2 October 3rd 06 05:45 AM
alphabetizing dan Microsoft Word Help 1 April 9th 06 12:35 AM
Alphabetizing nenesunshine Microsoft Word Help 1 April 5th 06 05:57 AM