Sam

Default Copying Excel data into Word: setting the Tabs

Hello

I need to create data tables in Word. I setup the a table template in word.
It has the column headings. Each column heading is separted by a tab. Then
I copy data from Excel and paste it into Word. The problem is that data from
Excel doesn't line up well with the table headings. The reason is the
following: the tab length is different for the text from Excel [Word treats
two values in adjacent cells as being separated by a tab].

Is there anything that can be done? Can the Excel data being pasted be
forced to confirm to existing tabs? Otherwise, can the tabs for the data
copied from Excel be edited [I tried changing the width of the cells in Excel
before I copy them, but that doesn't seem to work]?

Thank you!
Doug Robbins

Select the table and use the Convert Table to Text with tab as the separator
and then change the tab settings to those of your column headings.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Sam

Select the table and use the Convert Table to Text with tab as the separator
and then change the tab settings to those of your column headings.

Thank you, this is very helpful. However, I need to do this for 144 tables
[4/page, 36 pages]. If I understand you correctly, the way above would
involve having to painstakingly set 8 tabs for every one of the 144
selections that I will be pasting.

Is there a way to make the selection adapt the tab structure of the
paragraphs that are already present on the page I am pasting this selection
into?

Thank you!
Anne Troy

I would rather see you paste, and then run a macro (while your cursor is
still inside the table) that does the following:
Table--Properties, Set the width to 100, change inches to percent. This
tells the table to take up 100% the width of the page and often sets the
table up fairly nice.
Learn how to record a macro he
http://www.officearticles.com/word/r...osoft_word.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Sam" wrote in message
Select the table and use the Convert Table to Text with tab as the

separator
and then change the tab settings to those of your column headings.

Thank you, this is very helpful. However, I need to do this for 144

tables
[4/page, 36 pages]. If I understand you correctly, the way above would
involve having to painstakingly set 8 tabs for every one of the 144
selections that I will be pasting.

Is there a way to make the selection adapt the tab structure of the
paragraphs that are already present on the page I am pasting this

selection
into?

Thank you!

When you paste the Excel data into Word, ordinarily it will paste as a table
(a real table, not a tabbed one). Just add a heading row to that and put
your column headings in it. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm