Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle in West (by God) Virginia Michelle in West (by God) Virginia is offline

Default How do I get the scroll wheel to work in Office 2007?

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default, and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version by the end
of the week.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Are you running the latest mouse drivers?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

wrote in message
:

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default, and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version by the end
of the week.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle in West (by God) Virginia Michelle in West (by God) Virginia is offline

As far as I can tell I am. It's the mouse that came with the system, and
there were no device drivers CDs in the box. (I haven't even had the computer
long enough to request a new keyboard and mouse.)

Do you know if there are specific mice/computers that are having problems
with 2007? Because this is a brand new system, and shouldn't be having any
issues with anything. (I can't find references anywhere on this problem, and
we're going to need to know this information before our users start upgrading
their systems.)

Thank you,
Michelle

wrote in message
:

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default, and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version by the end
of the week.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What kind of mouse is it?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

wrote in message
:

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default, and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version by the end
of the week.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle in West (by God) Virginia Michelle in West (by God) Virginia is offline

Dell Optical mouse...

....And no where in the documentation or in the mouse suite does it give me a
name other than "Dell Premium Mouse."

System came installed with Dell's "Mouse Suite" I checked the settings there
and in the Windows Mouse dialog box from the Control Panel--nothing in either
place that would change scrolling behavior only in 2007 (scrolling works fine
in 2003 and all other programs if that wasn't clear from the initial post.)

Michelle

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

What kind of mouse is it?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

wrote in message
:

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default, and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version by the end
of the week.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are lots of problems with the Microsoft IntelliPoint mouse software in
Vista--particularly in Office 2007 applications--but I haven't heard
anything about other mice, and nothing about problems in Windows XP/MCE, one
of which I assume you're running.

Did you reboot after installing Office 2007? If not, then give that a try
and see if it helps. There might be related files that won't be loaded until
after you've rebooted.

Another thing to try... create another User account and see if the problem
exists there, too. All too often I've seen a variety of problems exist for
one User account, but not at all when I log in as a different user during
the same session (i.e., without rebooting).

Another thing to try would be to use Office 2007's Diagnose feature (in Word
2007, Office - Word Options - Resources - Diagnose) to see if you can repair
Office 2007. Something might've gone awry during the installation, and is
now affecting scrolling.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
.com wrote in message
Dell Optical mouse...

...And no where in the documentation or in the mouse suite does it give me
name other than "Dell Premium Mouse."

System came installed with Dell's "Mouse Suite" I checked the settings
there
and in the Windows Mouse dialog box from the Control Panel--nothing in
either
place that would change scrolling behavior only in 2007 (scrolling works
fine
in 2003 and all other programs if that wasn't clear from the initial
post.)

Michelle

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

What kind of mouse is it?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

wrote in message
:

I have a brand new computer and cannot get the scroll wheel on my
mouse to
work in Office 2007. This is most frustrating in Word, where I use
the wheel
constantly.

I've searched the help files, etc, and the only
recommendation--regarding
mouse settings--does not work. (All settings are still at default,
and the
problem also occurs on my boss's computer.)

I am using the Trial version, but expect to have the full version
by the end
of the week.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle in West (by God) Virginia Michelle in West (by God) Virginia is offline

Thanks for all your responses.

I finally dug out my old Logitech Optical mouse, and that works great in
Office 2007. I can scroll, and now my life is now much easier and happier on
the word processing front.

So it's apparently not just Microsoft IntelliPoint mice that don't work with
2007.

Thanks for all your help.

Michelle

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gary Gary is offline

We have the same problem going on here with a new OptiPlex 745 that shipped
with the Mouse Suite, and the fancy new mouse that allows you two scroll left
and right by clicking the wheel left and right.
Our quickie solution to get the scrolling to work in Office 2007 was to just
exit the Mouse Suite application from the system tray. This enabling
scrolling (up and down) with the wheel but disabled the scrolling left and
right because we shutdown the Mouse Suite.

Not much of a compromise......

Gary

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] fergsffd@yahoo.com is offline

To add to the scrolling problem list:

I have a thinkpad T40 (an old, but reliable soldier) and have
installed the Office 2007 Suite. Got it all. The problem is that the
ThinkPad middle-button scroll feature does not work in Word or Outlook
email messages. The scroll feature works in Excel and within Outlook,
Contacts, Calendar and the rest. It probably doesn't work in email
messages because Word is providing the word processing service so it
shares the problem of the scrolling not working in Word. Using an
external mouse, no problem with scrolling. This is one of those
"little things" that makes using Office a bit frustating.

If anyone has any info on a possible solution, please let me know.