Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
TMcManus TMcManus is offline

Default How Do I Get a {REf} to return {LISTNUM} number?

In a legal document my format looks like:

6 (1) blah blah...
(2) blah blah...

where the 6 is a numbered style linked to style Section and (2) is one level
down called Subsection. The (1) is generated using {LISTNUM} to make it
appear on the same line with the 6, rather than on a separate line.

I don't know how to place a bookmark so that in a reference, I can get the
(1) returned. All I get is the 6.

I know I can solve it by going for a format

6
(1) blah blah...
(2) blah blah...

but I didn't choose this screwy legal format, I just have to use it. Maybe
there's a way to get my Section and Subsection style on the same line, but
the best I could come up with was using {LISTNUM}.

--
Terry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Cross-reference dialog box, you should be able to see the LISTNUM
numbers as well, assuming that you choose "Numbered item" for "Reference
type."

Alternatively, you could manually bookmark the field and then insert a
cross-reference to the bookmark.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TMcManus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
TMcManus TMcManus is offline

That's it! I was doing it "the hard way" based on exp. with Word 2000. I'm
new to Word 2007. I was trying to insert manual book marks and references to
them. Much easier to use cross-reference.

One annoying thing though. I i place the caret and enter the cross-reference
dialog, Word shifts the document position, at least in the print view. But I
can live with it.

Thanks for your help.
--
Terry

"TMcManus" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help.

Note that you could use the cross-reference feature in Word 2000 as well;
the dialog box offers the same options in both versions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"TMcManus" wrote in message
[...]

Extra Paragraph Return in footer After Page Number pmsimp Microsoft Word Help 1 August 8th 08 11:50 AM
LISTNUM Sandra Microsoft Word Help 1 September 18th 07 10:42 AM
LISTNUM Peter K[_2_] Page Layout 2 August 7th 07 02:04 PM
LISTNUM Darlene Microsoft Word Help 1 June 10th 06 09:37 PM
Listnum to include chapter number in headings Jessica Page Layout 1 August 24th 05 08:00 PM