Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jbprojects2

Default How can I print an envelope with my non-default printer?

I often print envelopes at a printer other than my non-default printer, but
can't find where Word allows me to change that on the fly. That requires me
to change my default printer before printing an envelope. Am I missing
something, or is this just a quirk in Word (ver. 2002, SP 3)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

The feature you're using relies on info from the printer driver to provide
the options in the dialog, so it has to rely on the currently selected
printer's driver. Same way in 2003.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"jbprojects2" wrote in message
I often print envelopes at a printer other than my non-default printer, but
can't find where Word allows me to change that on the fly. That requires
me
to change my default printer before printing an envelope. Am I missing
something, or is this just a quirk in Word (ver. 2002, SP 3)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Use an envelope template (you can download samples from my web site) and *in
that template* create a macro to direct the printer output to the required
printer. Example code can be found at
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm
Use that template and not the envelope/label wizard to create envelopes.

jbprojects2 wrote:
I often print envelopes at a printer other than my non-default
printer, but can't find where Word allows me to change that on the
fly. That requires me to change my default printer before printing
an envelope. Am I missing something, or is this just a quirk in Word
(ver. 2002, SP 3)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AndyB AndyB is offline

Yo Bob!
Just found your helpful (not) reply.
I think if I properly read between the lines, what you meant to say was:
"No, you can't do that, & never could".

"CyberTaz" wrote:

The feature you're using relies on info from the printer driver to provide
the options in the dialog, so it has to rely on the currently selected
printer's driver. Same way in 2003.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"jbprojects2" wrote in message
I often print envelopes at a printer other than my non-default printer, but
can't find where Word allows me to change that on the fly. That requires
me
to change my default printer before printing an envelope. Am I missing
something, or is this just a quirk in Word (ver. 2002, SP 3)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No that's not what he said or implied. What he said and meant was that
printer functions are provided by the printer driver and not by Word. The
range of those functions depends on the printer driver.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

The feature you're using relies on info from the printer driver to
provide the options in the dialog, so it has to rely on the
currently selected printer's driver. Same way in 2003.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"jbprojects2" wrote in
message ...
I often print envelopes at a printer other than my non-default
printer, but can't find where Word allows me to change that on the
fly. That requires me
to change my default printer before printing an envelope. Am I
missing something, or is this just a quirk in Word (ver. 2002, SP
3)?

MSWordGuy MSWordGuy is offline
Banned

Although it is counter-intuitive, select File|Print from the menu. Change the Printer Name to the one to which you want to print; then press Cancel.

The changed destination will be retained so you can then go the the Envelopes and Labels dialog and your printing will be routed to the newly selected printer.

Stu Alderman
Reno, NV