Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abbagirl abbagirl is offline

Default Problem with cutting/pasting using Ctrl shortcuts

I use alot of Word docs in my transcription job and was always able to
copy/paste these docs into my job's inbox by just clicking inside the
document (usually many pages worth) and then doing Ctrl A and then Ctrl C,
which of course highlighted the entire doc in blue and then I could paste it
into where it needed to go....

Recently, however, for no reason whatsoever and I have done nothing new to
my Word system, this does not work....all i get is a "boink" type sound when
I try to do this. And nothing happens. I really need this function, as now
I am having to do the highlight thing with the mouse and then hold and tab up
and this is taking alot of needless time!

Any thoughts as to why and how to get back this feature of copying and
pasting using the Ctrl A and C buttons? I just now tried the Word "help"
feature and went to their shortcuts section and it said to use Ctrl C and
then Ctrl V but even this is not working.....

any thoughts or help is appreciated. Please email me privately as I get the
messages faster!

thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Which part doesn't work?
CTRL+A should highlight all the document.
CTRL+C should copy tyhe highlighted text to the clipboard.
CTRL+V should paste the clipboard contents at the cursor.

Does CTRL+A and CTRL+C work in other applications?

Work through the trouble shooting tips at
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

abbagirl wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abbagirl abbagirl is offline

yes, the Ctrl functions seem to work in other areas, for instance i just
tried it on this post and it highlighted it with Ctr A...it just isn't
working at all in word, none of the Ctrl functions...Ctrl A is not even
highlighting anything...it just sits there and then makes a beep noise

abbagirl wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Open Tools | Customize and click Keyboard... With any command selected (it
doesn't matter which), type Ctrl+A into the box for "Press new shortcut
key," then see what is displayed for "Currently assigned to." It should be
EditSelectAll. If it's not, select All Command in the Categories list,
scroll down to EditSelectAll and type Ctrl+A in the box and click Assign.
Repeat for Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc., to assign the correct commands.

abbagirl wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If that doesn't fix it, rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Open Tools | Customize and click Keyboard... With any command
selected (it doesn't matter which), type Ctrl+A into the box for
"Press new shortcut key," then see what is displayed for "Currently
assigned to." It should be EditSelectAll. If it's not, select All
Command in the Categories list, scroll down to EditSelectAll and
type Ctrl+A in the box and click Assign. Repeat for Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V,
etc., to assign the correct commands.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

abbagirl wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
liv4one liv4one is offline

Ok, I am having the same problem. But where is the Tools and Customize
button you are referring to? I am new to MS Word 2007, and did not find a
"Tools" "Customize button.

abbagirl wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

To get the dialog in Word 2007, click on the Office button (in the top right
hand corner), and select Word Options, select the "Customize" tab from the
list on the left, and then click on the Customize Keyboard button at the
bottom.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Open Tools | Customize and click Keyboard... With any command selected
(it
doesn't matter which), type Ctrl+A into the box for "Press new shortcut
key," then see what is displayed for "Currently assigned to." It should
be
EditSelectAll. If it's not, select All Command in the Categories list,
scroll down to EditSelectAll and type Ctrl+A in the box and click Assign.
Repeat for Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc., to assign the correct commands.

so
all may benefit.