Pascal

Default Words should counts words only inside the current section

It will be nice if Word was able to count words but only inside the current
section. As for instance with a big document in 3 parts (i.e. 3 sections)
Toc, core document and references. If I am only interested by the number or
words in the core document, I should be able to tick a selection box to ask
Word to restrict its counting to the current section of the document.
Et voila!
--
Pascal

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Michael_Corral

Pascal,

I have great news! Word can do exactly that and more!

To do this, highlight the section and or sentences you want counted, got to
Tools then Word Count€¦.

And if you would like you can ask it to Include footnotes and endnotes, just
click the check box.

Michael

--
Top Notch Admin

"Pascal" wrote:

It will be nice if Word was able to count words but only inside the current
section. As for instance with a big document in 3 parts (i.e. 3 sections)
Toc, core document and references. If I am only interested by the number or
words in the core document, I should be able to tick a selection box to ask
Word to restrict its counting to the current section of the document.
Et voila!
--
Pascal

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Daiya Mitchell

If you select text first, Word will only count the selection.

If you hit F8 five times, it will select the entire section (after going
through word, sentence, and paragraph)

On 7/16/05 8:23 AM, "Pascal" wrote:

It will be nice if Word was able to count words but only inside the current
section. As for instance with a big document in 3 parts (i.e. 3 sections)
Toc, core document and references. If I am only interested by the number or
words in the core document, I should be able to tick a selection box to ask
Word to restrict its counting to the current section of the document.
Et voila!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Klaus Linke

Another way to select the current section would be "Edit Goto" (Ctrl+G),
then type in \section

You can go to a specific section first (say Edit Goto Section: 3).

Regards,
Klaus

"Pascal" wrote:

Thank Daiya,
I knew that Word counts into selected area, but didn't know about the F8.
--
Pascal

On 7/16/05 8:23 AM, "Pascal" wrote:

It will be nice if Word was able to count words but only inside the current
section. As for instance with a big document in 3 parts (i.e. 3 sections)
Toc, core document and references. If I am only interested by the number or
words in the core document, I should be able to tick a selection box to ask
Word to restrict its counting to the current section of the document.
Et voila!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Klaus Linke

Oops, sorry...

If you use Edit Goto, then choose "Bookmark" and type in \Section, it
should work.

\Section is a predefined bookmark.

Since those are badly documented, here's some info from Woody Leonhard's
(ancient) "Hacker's Guide to Word for Windows":

Other predefined bookmarks are \Char, \Cell, \Doc, \EndOfDoc, \EndOfSel,
\HeadingLevel, \Line, \Page, \Para, \PrevSel1, \PrevSel2, \Sel, \StartOfDoc,
\Table.

\PrevSel1 and \PrevSel2 are the last two edited locations.

In a { GoToButton } field, you'd have to double the backslash, since the
single backslash gets interpreted as a field switch:
{ GoToButton \\StartOfDoc Home }

Regards,
Klaus