MMR

Default Why would Microsoft remove "Close" from File Menu in Word 2003?

I have two docs open in Word 2003. I look under the file menu to close one
document (and want to leave the other one open). "Close" is no longer an
option. "Exit" is but that closes all the Word windows.

I know that I can use my mouse to click on the X in each individual window -
but I like to be keyboard functional.

Thanks
Tony Jollans

Microsoft haven't removed this; assuming you are looking at the full menu
(i.e. it doesn't have the double chevron at the bottom), you must have
accidentally deleted it.

You can reset the menu via Tools Customize Toolbars (tab). Scroll down
the list and select "Menu Bar", then press Reset. This will reset the whole
menu. If you don't want to lose any other customization, then you can instead
do ..

Tools Customize Commands (tab). File will be selected by default in the
categories list on the left, so scroll down the list of commands on the
right to find "Close", then click and drag it. As you hover over File on the
Menu, the File menu will expand and you can drop "Close" where you want it.

However as you say you like the keyboard, why not use Ctrl+F4 to close the
active document?

Enjoy,
Tony

"MMR" wrote:

I have two docs open in Word 2003. I look under the file menu to close one
document (and want to leave the other one open). "Close" is no longer an
option. "Exit" is but that closes all the Word windows.

I know that I can use my mouse to click on the X in each individual window -
but I like to be keyboard functional.

Thanks

How to create relative and shorthand file path names 2dogs Microsoft Word Help 4 May 14th 05 08:49 PM
Non .doc files Tino New Users 12 March 9th 05 09:43 AM
Drop down menu under the word File at top of page Shewolf Microsoft Word Help 1 December 31st 04 11:29 PM
Editing MRU File List? MikeyD Microsoft Word Help 11 December 20th 04 03:51 PM
not responding when using the open command from the file menu Katdog Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 04:41 AM