Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Bartley

Default Where is the list of Access queries for MailMerge?

I have been using Access queries as the datasource for MailMerge for weeks,
now, and suddenly, it's broken.

When I go into step 3 of the MailMerge process, "Select recipients", and I'm
editing an existing list, and click on Browse, instead of getting the window
that asks if I want to connect to Access using ODBC or DDE, I get a dialog
box titled "Select Data Source", and the default is "My Data Sources".

The trouble with this dialog box is that it does not give me the option that
the previous list did, which is select whether I want to click the choices I
want to see, including Tables and /or Views. I want to select a query, but
I only get the list of Tables in this dialog box.

How do I use an Access query as my datasource for MailMerge?

(Using Word2003, and Access 2003)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Margaret Bartley

Correction, the Access database is Access 2000. And the list of table that
shows up in the
"Select Table" dialog box, after I've chosen Access as my datatype, includes
a few, but not most, of the queries in that database. I cannot figure out
why some queries are included in the list of available tables, and some are
not.

But, in any event, I'd like to know how to get to the "Confirm Data Source"
dialog box, which gives me the option to see views.

"Margaret Bartley" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TedMi

The mail merge link dialog will not show Access queries which are hidden.
Open the database, display the Queries pane, and see if any queries are
displayed in a grayed-out font. Open the properties window for those and
uncheck the hidden attribute. Once you establish the link, you can make the
queries hidden again, and the merge will find them.
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rick

To get the "Confirm Data Source" dialog, you need to have Word's "Confirm
conversion at Open" setting turned ON / checked (Tools | Options | General).

"Margaret Bartley" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz

Hello All -

IIRC, Word will not recognize _all_ query types (such as Append or Delete
Queries) and will not recognize queries that use other queries as their data
source. It may also not recognize queries that look to linked record
sources, such as tables actually stored outside the file containing the
query.

HTH |:)