Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default italics (etc.) in citations

Is it possible to include character formatting in the entries in a
stored bibliography -- for instance, a Latin word in an article title
should always be italicized -- but selecting the word in the box in
the Manage Sources panels and Ctrl-I doesn't do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

It depends on the options the creator of the style provided.

If you are talking about one of the styles that comes with Word 2007, the
answer is no.

Leaving the fancy transformation stuff aside, you can consider a
citation/bibliography stylesheet as a HTML template (a webpage) into which
the content of the different fields of a source is pasted. The thing is,
there are two ways to do the pasting:
1)consider the field content as regular text, i.e. without any formatting
information, and just paste it directly;
2)consider the field content as some kind of formatted text and ensure that
formatting information is maintained during the 'pasting' process.

The styles that come with Word 2007 decided to follow the first approach.
Hence, using them it is not possible to add formatting information.

The stylesheets based on BibWord, so basically the ones you can download
from the link in my signature, follow the second approach. They accept
common HTML formatting information. The idea is that it is very uncommon
that HTML tags would appear in a field without being formatting information.
So if you wanted the word "Title" in "A Title to Remember" to be in italics,
you would just insert it as "A iTitle/i to Remember".

Both approaches have their pros and cons.

Yves
--
BibWord : Microsoft Word Citation and Bibliography styles
http://bibword.codeplex.com

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
Is it possible to include character formatting in the entries in a
stored bibliography -- for instance, a Latin word in an article title
should always be italicized -- but selecting the word in the box in
the Manage Sources panels and Ctrl-I doesn't do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is there anywhere one can see the output of your various styles,
without downloading and installing the machinery? I'd especially like
it if one of your styles follows the Chicago Manual (as Word's built-
in "Chicago" doesn't). In particular, is it impossible to order
entries under an author by date, rather than by title? All the built-
in styles that put the date directly after the author still order them
by title, which is completely wrong. (And most or all of them repeat
the date at or near the end, which is wrong.)

On Jan 6, 3:08*pm, "Yves Dhondt" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Example output of a few of the BibWord styles can be seen on their specific
release pages.
ABNT :
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=27212
Harvard - AGPS :
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=22931
Harvard - Anglia :
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=19783
Harvard - Exeter :
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=22890
Harvard - Leeds :
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=19776

I never created anything for the Chicago style.

I've added an adjusted Word 2007 Chicago style to
http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...eleaseId=38366 .
There you can use italic formatting around latin words in a field. I only
did some basic testing, but if it fails, just let me know and I'll look into
it.

The decision on how entries in a bibliography are sorted is made by the
style. As long as you don't mix up alphabets (cyrillic vs latin vs kanji)
you can sort whatever way you want.

For example, the Harvard styles on the BibWord site (the links at the
beginning of this post) all sort by author followed by year and then title.

Microsoft opted to use a "b:SortingString" to store the value in on which
sorting happens for most styles (APA, Chicago, Turabian, ISO 690). So if you
want to know the details on how a specific style in Word 2007 handles
sorting, you can open the file and just look for "b:SortingString". A
quick peak for Chicago shows it is:
1. author / editor / compiler / translator (unless it is a legal case)
2. periodical title in case the source is an article in a periodical
3. title
4. the importance of the author (author editor compiler translator)

Yves
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This all sounds immensely useful -- if the advertised Free WiFi in the
hotel for the Linguistic Society of America actually works (with my
new (yay!) laptop), I can look into all this tonight.

BTW do the ISO-whatever styles _really_ decree that for a journal
artilce, the entry is listed under the article title and not the
author, or is that just another Word mistake?

I've added an adjusted Word 2007 Chicago style tohttp://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=38366.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I have no idea if the ISO-styles are correct or not. They look funny to me
as well. There have been comments about them before. I made an alternative
where the name always showed up first over a year ago
(http://bibword.codeplex.com/Release/...leaseId=17634).

Yves

italics Gary Microsoft Word Help 0 March 30th 09 01:38 PM
Italics Ants Microsoft Word Help 2 July 16th 07 01:00 PM
Italics SF New Users 0 October 24th 05 01:50 AM
Italics SF New Users 5 October 22nd 05 10:56 PM
I have no italics in my word document but random italics appear w. San Microsoft Word Help 8 August 23rd 05 12:38 AM