Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colin Tredoux Colin Tredoux is offline

Default Hide title bar

I often use Full Screen view in Word for typing intensive tasks. However,
that view is unsatisfactory (even after writing a bit of code to remove the
annoying 'close full screen' toolbar), as it affects the focus when using the
ALT-TAB to switch to another program.

I have been experimenting with creating a full screen view myself, and have
managed to find out how to
i) remove all toolbars
ii) remove menu (not so easy, despite apparent custimizability on Tools
Options)
iii) change caption on Application title bar.
iv) remove status bar
v) set Windows Taskbar to autohide

However, what I have not been able to do is to find a way of hiding the
whole Application title bar i.e. the whole thing, application icon, maximize
button etc.

In other words, I want a full screen view with nothing on it, but not using
the unsatisfactory built-in Full Screen view.

Anyone got some ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colin Tredoux Colin Tredoux is offline

Yes, a large monitor is on my list of things to purchase.

However, no size of monitor will solve the problem I describe. I like using
full screen view because it concentrates my attention on the text, so I can
read, edit, and write with full effort, and not have the distractions of
toolbars, etc.

Presumably the Word developers understand this functionality, which is why
they built in a full screen view. Problem is that it doesn't work too well,
which is why I want to find a way of getting rid of the title bar.

"Colin Tredoux" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you uncheck tools options general provide feedback with animation;
tools options view uncheck vertical and horizontal scrollbars and status
bar; and turn off view ruler, (whilst in full screen view) there is no
title bar unless you put your cursor at the top of the screen.

"Colin Tredoux" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colin Tredoux Colin Tredoux is offline

Hi Graham,

Thank you the useful advice. However, it requires using the built-in Full
Screen view, which I find unsatisfactory - e.g. when searching in the
document, the find dialog 'disappears' and you have to use ALT-TAB to switch
to it. You also have to write a macro to get rid of the Close Full Screen
toolbar.

I can get rid of everything while in Page Layout view except the title bar,
and that is the last remaining thing I am struggling with, and what I would
like some advice on. Any ideas?

"Colin Tredoux" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't thing it is possible to remove the title bar in the manner you
describe.
The search tool doesn't disappear in the full screen view? If it does for
you, the chances are that you are running NortonAV with its office plug-in
active. That nasty piece of software causes dialog boxes to open behind the
current window.

"Colin Tredoux" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Colin Tredoux Colin Tredoux is offline

Well, thank you! I did not have Norton running, but disabling McAfee on
demand scanning brought the dialog box back in front.

Now there is the question of anti-virus software, though....

Best,

"Colin Tredoux" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I don't know anything about McAfee but the checking of Word/Office documents
can usually be deselected in the AV program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off
its Office Plug-in.

With some products it may be necessary to unregister the calling DLL by
running the following command line from Windows Start Run

eg the popular free ediition of Grisoft's AVG antivirus software
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/-

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"