Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ErnieNet ErnieNet is offline

Default Template Issues

I've been all over Word's help and the forum and I can't find a solution to
the following:

1. I have several existing documents that need to have a particular template
attached to them. When I follow the procedure (Developer, Document Template,
load, attach, etc.) it does not appear to attach the template at all.

I tried copying the main text of the original document and pasting it into a
new document loaded with the custom template, which seems to work, but
something doesn't seem right with that.

2. My template has a few fields on the first page which I bookmarked and
then cross-reference in the header & footer of the rest of the document
(different odd/even). Two very strange issues exist with this:

a. On even pages header I have a cross-reference to DocumentNo on the left
and DocDate on the right in a two-column single-row table. Odd pages are just
the opposite. On the even pages, in the left cell, the DocDate keeps
appearing next to the DocDate (in addition to it's intentional position on
the right). Every time I delete it and save, the next time I print preview,
it returns! This is absolutely maddening! I've deleted it over and over, yet
it just keeps coming back!

b. On the odd pages footer, there's a mysterious horizontal line that I
can't isolate - it's not visible when I edit, but it's visible when I print.
I've tried to figure out what's producing it, but it's simply not visible in
any view except at about 400% enlargement in edit mode - but I can't select
it, and when I go to table properties, there's no border selected.

Are there quirks in Word 2007 templates, or have I just made a mess?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ErnieNet ErnieNet is offline

Thank you for the reference. It appears that Templates don't work as one
would expect. You can't attach a template and expect your document to take on
it's attributes. You basically have to create a new document in the template,
then copy and paste your existing document into it.

Now, as to the template problems. There is a horizontal line that is
appearing on only even page footers. I can't select it, I can't remove it, it
just sits there ruining my template. I tried removing the footer with the
menu option, backspace from the paragraph marker below it, and just about
everything I can think of. How did it get there and how can I remove it?

I've got a screenshot, but I can't see a way to attach it to this message.

Thank you,

"ErnieNet" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Maybe this article will help you regarding the line:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...tRidOfLine.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)