Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cbemoras cbemoras is offline

Default cross reference problems

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use it as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you inadvertently inserted a manual page break within a cross-referenced
item, that would be reflected in the cross-reference as well.

Avoid manual page breaks and use "Page break before" formatting whenever
required.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote in message
news
After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I
use it as a hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Does this happen with a particular document, only, or can you reproduce it
in any document with cross-references?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you inadvertently inserted a manual page break within a
cross-referenced
item, that would be reflected in the cross-reference as well.

Avoid manual page breaks and use "Page break before" formatting whenever
required.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote in message
news
After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I
use it as a hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cbemoras cbemoras is offline

It has happened with several documents randomly. I have to go in and take out
the cross reference in order for the document to print properly. Not all of
the cross references, usually just one.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

If you inadvertently inserted a manual page break within a
cross-referenced
item, that would be reflected in the cross-reference as well.

Avoid manual page breaks and use "Page break before" formatting whenever
required.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote in message
news After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I
use it as a hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Since it affects not only one or two documents (which could be corrupt), I
guess it must be caused by formatting, then (although I don't know how at
this time).

If you want to, I could take a look at one of the problem documents. You can
send it to .

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote in message
news After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a
page
breaks right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF.
If I
use it as a hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cturner08 cturner08 is offline

I'm having similar problems (in Word 2007, using Windows XP). I've replaced
all the manual page breaks before headings with a "page break before" in the
heading paragraph definition. But sometimes - usually only triggered by
printing a page - a cross reference set to display just the heading wording
will bring in the entire section of text that goes with the heading. I've
tried deleting the offending x-ref entirely, double checking the format of
the heading being referred to, and then re-inserting this. But problems
continue to crop up.

"cbemoras" wrote:

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use it as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Make sure not to press Enter (or add text for that matter) at the beginning
of a cross-referenced paragraph; if you do you will add the paragraph mark
(or text) inside the bookmark, which will cause cross-reference trouble.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote:

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use it
as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cturner08 cturner08 is offline

Does "at the beginning of a cross-referenced paragraph" in your note refer to
the heading (in my case) that I cross reference to?

I've been through my document to check that all the paragraphs with Heading
styles are truly one-line paragraphs. Is there some other way I should be
checking for the source of the problem? Should I be able see problem
paragraphs with all formatting codes revealed? I don't see any unexpected
markings there.

When the problem occurs on printing, it is usually the case that the first
previously normal style paragraph after the referenced heading has now
switched to heading style. But if I check that paragraph just before
printing, it will look like, and be identified as "normal" style. Yesterday
I deleted and re-created an offending cross reference several times. The
first two, the problem re-occured when I tried to print the page. It hasn't
(yet) come back again since the third time I re-created the X-ref.
Thanks!

"cbemoras" wrote:

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use it
as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"cturner08" wrote in message
Does "at the beginning of a cross-referenced paragraph" in your note refer
the heading (in my case) that I cross reference to?

I've been through my document to check that all the paragraphs with
Heading
styles are truly one-line paragraphs. Is there some other way I should be
checking for the source of the problem? Should I be able see problem
paragraphs with all formatting codes revealed? I don't see any unexpected
markings there.

For a cross-reference to a heading, Word creates a hidden bookmark that
encloses the heading, yes, and similarly for other items. To actually see
such a hidden bookmark it isn't sufficient to display bookmarks in the
document (unfortunately).

What you can do is the following: Place the insertion point inside the
bookmarked heading. Open the Bookmark dialog box (Insert | Bookmark). First
click "Hidden bookmarks" (you'll see the names of all hidden bookmarks) and
then click "Location," which will make Word select the bookmark. If this
doesn't work, you could try closing and reopening the Bookmark dialog box;
then Word should select the correct bookmark name in the dialog box. Click
Go To to have Word select the bookmark.

When the problem occurs on printing, it is usually the case that the first
previously normal style paragraph after the referenced heading has now
switched to heading style. But if I check that paragraph just before
printing, it will look like, and be identified as "normal" style.
Yesterday
I deleted and re-created an offending cross reference several times. The
first two, the problem re-occured when I tried to print the page. It
hasn't
(yet) come back again since the third time I re-created the X-ref.
Thanks!

Do you have your bookmarks set to update on print?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"cbemoras" wrote:

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use
it
as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cturner08 cturner08 is offline

Thanks! I went through my entire list of hidden bookmarks and found two,
including the recently causing problems, that referred to an entire section
of text, not just intended heading. So I deleted both of those. Not sure
why other odd things seem to crop up on this list, but hopefully they don't
matter. For example, there is one figure, caption combination for which a
combined bookmark keeps cropping up (highlighting both the figure and
caption), even though I have deleted and recreated the caption and the cross
reference just to it. There are also some strange bookmarks starting with
"Hlt_" that keep cropping up, primarily in this caption, highlighting just
one letter or space.

Thanks again. I definitely wouldn't have found the way to see these
bookmarks on my own!

"cbemoras" wrote:

After a cross reference, when printing the document, sometimes a page
breaks
right after the cross reference even while printing to PDF. If I use
it
as a
hyperlink, it's even more likely to cause page breaks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP