Default Complicated mail merge with html coding

I am trying to automate the creation of html documents with MS Word
mail merge. I want to code an html table's content through the mail
merge from data in an Excel spreadsheet. Depending on the contents of
the table, it can have anywhere from 2 to 16 cells of individual
images. If the merge runs into a blank data field, I want it to not
code that particular cell of the table. I tried doing this with an IF
THEN merge, but since the html coding of the cell images involves
double quotes and equal signs, it keeps gagging and terminating the
mergefield early. I tried using {SYMBOL 34} for the "s, but it still
hangs, possibly because of the =s. Is there anyway to command Word to
skip an entire paragraph? Or skip information until another marker is
present? Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated! I'm driving myself
batty with this problem!

Jenn

Cindy M -WordMVP-

I am trying to automate the creation of html documents with MS Word
mail merge. I want to code an html table's content through the mail
merge from data in an Excel spreadsheet. Depending on the contents of
the table, it can have anywhere from 2 to 16 cells of individual
images. If the merge runs into a blank data field, I want it to not
code that particular cell of the table. I tried doing this with an IF
THEN merge, but since the html coding of the cell images involves
double quotes and equal signs, it keeps gagging and terminating the
mergefield early. I tried using {SYMBOL 34} for the "s, but it still
hangs, possibly because of the =s. Is there anyway to command Word to
skip an entire paragraph? Or skip information until another marker is
present? Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated! I'm driving myself
batty with this problem!

Hard to offer an opinion without an explicit example of what you're
trying to do. Generally, creating a list with a variable number of
members is a tricky thing to do with Word. There's a short discussion on
my website on the topic, with links to samples for work-arounds. In your
case, the only approach that might work would be the one outlined in the
Knowledge Base article, I think.

In order to include some symbols in a field result, it sometimes helps
to "escape" them by preceding them with a backslash: \

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org