cmb

Default Problems with Excel97 version

Hi,

I some customers that I've created spreadsheets as an Excel97 version. When
the customers attempt their Mail Merge using Word 2003, it gives an error.
When we open those Excel files in Excel2003, resave, and then attempt the
Mail Merge in Word 2003, it works. Unfortunately the software I use to
create the Excel files has Excel97 as the latest version. When we attempt to
save them as Excel95 or earlier, other problems occur. These files do
contain fields with date & currency formatting, which I've read may cause
some problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Y21i?=,

I some customers that I've created spreadsheets as an Excel97 version. When
the customers attempt their Mail Merge using Word 2003, it gives an error.
When we open those Excel files in Excel2003, resave, and then attempt the
Mail Merge in Word 2003, it works. Unfortunately the software I use to
create the Excel files has Excel97 as the latest version. When we attempt to
save them as Excel95 or earlier, other problems occur. These files do
contain fields with date & currency formatting, which I've read may cause
some problems.

Have you tried marking the data areas with RANGE NAMES? Other than that, the
only other thing I can imagine would be to save in delimeted text format, rather
than in Excel format.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org