Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gvm gvm is offline

Default Retaining macros using Word 2007 in compatibility mode

My problem is that macros I save related to a document keep disappearing.

I create a macro and customise a keyboard shortcut for it. When I save the
shortcut, it is apparent that it is being saved in normal.dotm. The problem
is that at a later time, when I return to the document, the macro is missing.
When I go to Developer/Macros, the macro that used to be there is not there
anymore.

Before deciding to post this message, I thought I better double check
things. I created the macro, saved and closed the document, opened it again
and yes, the macro was still there. I figured the problem must be due to me
not saving things properly because everything seemed to be working OK.

I closed the document, went to lunch, came back later and opened the
document. The macro has disappeared again. Very frustrating. I am working in
compatibility mode and saving documents as Word 97-2003 version. Any ideas
please? TIA .. Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It appears that for some reason your normal template (normal.dotm) is not
being saved when you close Word. Set the prompt to save the normal template
in Word options. Having added your macro, do you get the prompt on closing?
If not somthing is inhibiting the function. The most likely cause is a
poorly written add-in.

gvm wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gvm gvm is offline

Thanks Graham. After setting the prompt, I did get the prompt to save changes
to the global template upon closing. I reloaded the macro and re-saved the
document. Consequently, normal.dotm appeared in the
applicationdata\microsoft\templates folder; it did not exist there before I
set the prompt to save the normal template.

So perhaps the problem was caused because normal.dotm was missing. I am
confident the problem is fixed but only time will tell. Thanks ... Greg