Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian M. Walker Ian M. Walker is offline

Default How do I make 2003 macros work in my compatibility mode doc?

I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course) the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

They should run even though the document is opened in Compatibility Mode.
Did you check to see if the macros were listed in the Macros dialog box?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Ian M. Walker" wrote in message
I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course) the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

What are your macro security settings?

Are you trying to run macros in the document - or those copied from the
other user's normal.dot?

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ian M. Walker" wrote in message
I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course) the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian M. Walker Ian M. Walker is offline

I have to unprotect the file to be able to see the list and it does show them
but then whether I have the file re-protected (field filling only) or not,
the macros won't run.

Please help.

"Beth Melton" wrote:

They should run even though the document is opened in Compatibility Mode.
Did you check to see if the macros were listed in the Macros dialog box?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Ian M. Walker" wrote in message
I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course) the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If the macros are specific to the document why are they stored in your
Normal.dotm and not the document? (Actually, the macros should be stored in
a template and you should create new documents based on the template but
that's for another topic.)

How did you copy the macros? In the Macros dialog box, does the Macro In
show Normal.dotm or the document?

If the macros are stored in the document instead of Normal.dotm and if your
Macro Security is set to high then that might be the reason they are
disabled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

They should run even though the document is opened in Compatibility Mode.
Did you check to see if the macros were listed in the Macros dialog box?

"Ian M. Walker" wrote in message
I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It
contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into
my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course)
the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian M. Walker Ian M. Walker is offline

Macros are set to run from my trusted location which is where the documents
are.

These files were sent from an office still using 2003 and despite my urging,
they still rely on "masters" and saveas rather than templates.

Anyway, the files arrived WITHOUT embedded macros so I realized I needed
their normal.dot. They sent it and I imported those into my normal.dotm.

They still did not run so then I realized that they were not even showing in
the file still (in compatibility mode) so then I used organizer to also
import them directly into their master file.

They now definitely show in the list but are not doing much else.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

What are your macro security settings?

Are you trying to run macros in the document - or those copied from the
other user's normal.dot?

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ian M. Walker" wrote in message
I have a document created with Office 2003 which I must edit. It contains
macros which I need to run.

I had their normal.dot sent to me and I copied the macros from it into my
normal.dotxm.

However, when I open their document (in compatibility mode of course) the
macros are not running even if I unprotect the document.

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Looking at your replies to Beth as well...

* You have a Word Form and you are expecting some macros to run
automatically on FormField Entry or Exit.
* You have the macros in both your document and your normal.dotm
* Both your document and your normal.dotm are in trusted locations and
macros are allowed to run from trusted locations

If I'm correct I know no obvious reason why they shouldn't run, but ...

* Can you explicitly run the macros (if you unprotect the Form)? (I
expect the answer to this to be yes, but do want to confirm).
* Macros don't always trigger if you use the mouse to move around form
fields - at least for testing use the tab key
* Form fields occasionally, for no known reason, can lose their
association to macros - it is worth confirming they are still set to run

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP