Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie W Julie W is offline

Default How to Get Word 2007 to 'kick-in' to Compatibility Mode Automatically for New Docs

My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format" is
set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a new
blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in the
legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default save
format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook or
presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you create a
new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Did you try in Advanced Layout Compatibility Options Layout This document as
if created in Word 2003 - I have this checked as well as Save and I have no
problem.

Hope this helps.

Summer
www.docsliveonline.com

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format" is
set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a new
blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie W Julie W is offline

Yes.

I start up word... it automatically opens a new document (not in
compatibility mode)

I check my default save/as format, and it is set to: Word 97 - 2003
Document (*.doc)

I check my Office Button / Word Options / Advanced / Compatibility options
for:
I select "All New Documents"
Then under "Lay out this document as if created in:"
I select Microsoft Office Word 2003
Then I click ok

This may be a clue: That "Lay out" setting never sticks.

I can set it over and over... and when I go back to the setting, it's back
to "Lay out this document as if created in:"

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format" is
set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a new
blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

Yes, the blank new document is based on Normal.dotm (2007).

The Save As (first option) should be sufficient. I press F12 (save) and get
Doc 1.doc
Save as Type: 97-2003 ....etc

In Office Button Word Options
Save
Save Files in this format: Word 97-2003.....

Should be enough.

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format"
is set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a
new blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer Summer is offline

One other thing which may or may not have an effect is the fact that have
you installed the Compatibility Pack from Microsoft?

Then see how it works?

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format"
is set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a
new blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The Compatibility Pack is only for machines that have Word 2000, 2002,
or 2003, and it won't install on a machine that has only Word 2007.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Julie W" wrote in message
My Office Button / Word Options / Save / "Save files in this format"
is set to: "Word 97 - 2003 Document (*.doc)", but every time I create a
new blank document (Office Button / New / Blank Document / Create),
[Compatibility Mode] won't kick-in until I after I save the document in
the legacy format for the first time.

Excel and PowerPoint don't behave this way: If you've got your default
save format set to the legacy formats, anytime you create a new workbook
or presentation, you're automatically in [Compatibility Mode] when you
create a new workbook or presentation.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It turns out that the Lay out... settings are identical for Word 2007 and
Word 2003. If you choose Word 2003, it reverts to Word 2007. If you choose
Word 2002 or something earlier, however, it "sticks".

I agree with the poster that having it default to 97-2003 as the default
format--before you save it--is desirable. That way, you get Word 2003-style
graphics handling (and other behaviors) from the outset. The answer we're
likely to get is "this is the way Word has always worked." sigh

On the other hand... we have so many users saying "I forgot to save..." that
perhaps getting people to save right off the bat isn't such a bad idea. The
first word processor I used forced the user to name the document/file before
any writing/editing could be performed. In retrospect, this might've been a
pretty good idea.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible