Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
seasider seasider is offline

Default Hyperlink in MS Word document.

I have a user who is adding hyperlinks to Powerpoint and other files, when
the link is first added and before the file is saved placing the cursor over
the hyperlink will display the "CTRL/Click" to follow link message and the
file will be preceeded with "file:///\\". If the file is then save and
re-opened "file:///\\" will have been changed to ../.../.../ rendering the
file unobtainable.

This works OK on my PC's in both 2003 and 2007 Office. The user is working
with Office 2003 sp3.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure it will fix this particular behaviour but try unchecking
Tools-Options-General-Web options-Files-Updates links on save. (This is
an Office-wide setting that you can set/reset in either package).
Unfortunately of course you cannot guarantee that other people who work with
these files use the same settings.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"seasider" wrote in message
I have a user who is adding hyperlinks to Powerpoint and other files, when
the link is first added and before the file is saved placing the cursor
over
the hyperlink will display the "CTRL/Click" to follow link message and the
file will be preceeded with "file:///\\". If the file is then save and
re-opened "file:///\\" will have been changed to ../.../.../ rendering the
file unobtainable.

This works OK on my PC's in both 2003 and 2007 Office. The user is working
with Office 2003 sp3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
seasider seasider is offline

Hi Peter,

Very many thanks for the reply.

I checked on my PC's and the option is already checked and this is handled
OK on both my PC's.

Would a 'Detect and Repair' be of any use?

"seasider" wrote in message
I have a user who is adding hyperlinks to Powerpoint and other files, when
the link is first added and before the file is saved placing the cursor
over
the hyperlink will display the "CTRL/Click" to follow link message and the
file will be preceeded with "file:///\\". If the file is then save and
re-opened "file:///\\" will have been changed to ../.../.../ rendering the
file unobtainable.

This works OK on my PC's in both 2003 and 2007 Office. The user is working
with Office 2003 sp3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

OK, it seems that the option I suggested does not affect hyperlinks, at
least not obviously. Not sure I can get any further on this one, but...

A few questions:
a. how are you actually entering the link?
b. what are you typing?
c. what is displayed in the tooltip if you hover the mouse over the link
immediately after word creates the hyperlink
d. do you have anything set up in File-Properties-Summary-Hyperlink
base, and if so, what?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk