Sue Hughes

Default Word 2003 'Insert Style Separator' Feature

This feature is supposed to split a paragraph into two separate styles so
only the first style, in this case Heading #, appears in the Table of
Contents.
Microsoft seems to think it is only used when people are typing a new
document.
HOWEVER If there is already text beyond the point where you want to insert
the Separator, the feature doesn't work. It stays the same style. Or worse
yet, it puts both parts of the paragraph in the TOC as separate entries.
In the Legal Community this is a critical issue. We can no longer use a
'hidden' paragraph marker, because it is considered metadata and will be
stripped.
Can anyone out there enlighten me? This is not an easy issue to explain.

Jezebel

It's clumsy, but not so hard to work around:

1. Insert ordinary paragraph marks before and after the target text.
2. Select each of the inserted paragraph marks in turn and click the Style
Separator button.
3. Click within the target text and set the style you want.