Greg

Default Auto Text entry that I can't get rid off

Hi all,

I work in the UK and our date format is DAY/MONTH/YEAR €“ i.e. today would be
04/09/2005, however when Im in Word and I type 2005 an auto text entry wants
to complete with 2005-09-04.

Ive noticed this with Word 2000 and 2002.

Ive found that if I go to INSERTAUTOTEXT click on the AUTO TEXT TAB and
uncheck AUTO COMPLETE TIP FOR AUTO TEXT AND DATES this stops it from
happening. However I think this is a little over the top and would prefer to
seek out the entry and alter it but I cant find it anywhere.

Ive checked my regional settings and bios and they are fine so its not
picking the date details up from there.

If anyone can point me in the right direction Id be very grateful. My
operating system by the way is Windows XP proff.

Cheers

Greg

Daiya Mitchell

This isn't an AutoText entry that you can delete. It's a known bug that you
have to put up with, as far as I know. You've found the radical solution.

The US doesn't use 2005-09-04 in Word documents either.

Accustom yourself to hitting space or ESC to prevent the AutoText from
finishing.

I'm merely parroting what I've seen said here previously, so you can search
in hopes of finding a different answer that I've forgotten--the question has
come up before.

On 9/6/05 2:24 AM, "Greg" wrote:

Hi all,

I work in the UK and our date format is DAY/MONTH/YEAR * i.e. today would be
04/09/2005, however when Iım in Word and I type 2005 an auto text entry wants
to complete with 2005-09-04.

Iıve noticed this with Word 2000 and 2002.

Iıve found that if I go to INSERTAUTOTEXT click on the AUTO TEXT TAB and
uncheck AUTO COMPLETE TIP FOR AUTO TEXT AND DATES this stops it from
happening. However I think this is a little over the top and would prefer to
seek out the entry and alter it but I canıt find it anywhere.

Iıve checked my regional settings and bios and they are fine so itıs not
picking the date details up from there.

If anyone can point me in the right direction Iıd be very grateful. My

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

If there's a more satisfactory answer, I haven't seen it. This behavior
would have to qualify as a bug IMO, and I haven't seen a message from anyone
who likes it. I guess we can always hope it will be fixed in Word 12, but
I'm not holding my breath!

.. .

On 9/6/05 2:24 AM, "Greg" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/