LarsF

Default Colour gradient excel chart pasted in word will only print in grey

Have tried both paste / paste special and Insert object when getting my excel
chart in a word doc. The filled gradient colour columns will only print in
grey, but a line in the same chart is in colour! Taking away the gradient
will print in colour. Is there a solution to this?
Shauna Kelly

Hi Lars

I do this all the time, in versions of Word back to 2000, with big gradients
as the backgrounds to various chart elements. So it's definitely possible. I
almost always use Edit Paste Special and paste as a picture. Does that
make a difference? Or, in Excel, select the chart, hold down Shift, and then
do Edit Copy as a picture. Choose to display as it will look when printed,
then paste into Word.

But my guess (and it's only a guess) is that the problem is with the Word
printer driver. Try downloading a new printer driver from your printer's
manufacturer's web site.

I haven't experienced this specific problem, but it is the kind of weirdness
I have seen when printing in a old-ish Citrix environment. And the problem
there is that the Citrix printer drivers aren't what they might be. The only
solution I've found is to copy the file to the local hard drive, and print
from there, tedoius though that is.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"LarsF" wrote in message
Have tried both paste / paste special and Insert object when getting my
excel
chart in a word doc. The filled gradient colour columns will only print in
grey, but a line in the same chart is in colour! Taking away the gradient
will print in colour. Is there a solution to this?

LarsF

Thanks Shauna!

I did earlier try all sorts of ways to get a chart into word, including the
methods you describe, but with no effect.
I did however find in the Word discussion group a solution that was related
to which printer you use.
For everyday work use a monocolour printer but when we (occasionally) print
reports like this, we print on a colour printer (second floor).
When the excel file has been "pointed" at a monocolour printer, the copy and
paste picture of the chart brings some printing instructions to the colour
printer that messes all up!
So the (intermediate) solution I am now using is to set the excel file to
print on the colour printer before I copy/paste the chart over to word.

Though I will have a look at the printer drivers and see if it can help.

Cheers

Lars