Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
K K is offline

Default Tracking question numbering

I have a questionnaire , where in question 1 I say, "If you choose option 1,
go to question 2, if you choose option 2, go to question 3".

If a question is added before question 2, such that the original question 2
is now question 3, and the original question 3 is now question 4, I would
like for the instruction above to reflect that. The questions are numbered
using Word's automatic numbering feature. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Use the Cross-reference dialog box to reference the numbered items. The
cross-reference fields will update when you Print Preview the document.
(Note that, alternatively, you can update the fields explicitly by selecting
them and pressing F9.)

To display the Cross-reference dialog box:

- Insert tab | Cross-reference (Word 2007).

- Insert | Reference | Cross-reference (Word 2003).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"K" wrote in message
I have a questionnaire , where in question 1 I say, "If you choose option
1,
go to question 2, if you choose option 2, go to question 3".

If a question is added before question 2, such that the original question
2
is now question 3, and the original question 3 is now question 4, I would
like for the instruction above to reflect that. The questions are
numbered
using Word's automatic numbering feature. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
K K is offline

Thanks for the response. The problem with this approach is that the
reference is to the number, irrespective of what text follows it. When I
insert a question before the original question 2, my reference now refers to
this new question (the new question 2) and not the original question (which
is now question 3). Updating the field does not solve the issue...is there a
way around it? Is there another feature that can resolve this?

"K" wrote in message
I have a questionnaire , where in question 1 I say, "If you choose option
1,
go to question 2, if you choose option 2, go to question 3".

If a question is added before question 2, such that the original question
2
is now question 3, and the original question 3 is now question 4, I would
like for the instruction above to reflect that. The questions are
numbered
using Word's automatic numbering feature. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Cross-references depend on hidden bookmarks that enclose the bookmarked
paragraphs. When adding paragraphs of text, make sure not to press Enter at
the beginning of a bookmarked paragraph, since this will expand the bookmark
to include the added paragraph (which will obviously cause cross-reference
errors). Instead, add paragraphs by pressing Enter at the *end* of an
existing paragraph.

To fix existing hidden bookmarks that have expanded, do the following:
Select the text that should be included in the cross-reference (for example,
the text of paragraph three if you are referencing the autonumbering of
paragraph three). Then open the Bookmark dialog box. Click the option to
show hidden bookmarks, and then click "Location" for "Sort by" (assuming
that "Name" is currently selected). Word will display the name of the
bookmark in the selection. Click Add to redefine the bookmark. You should
now be able to update the cross-reference. Repeat this procedure for other
incorrect bookmarks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"K" wrote in message
I have a questionnaire , where in question 1 I say, "If you choose
option
1,
go to question 2, if you choose option 2, go to question 3".

If a question is added before question 2, such that the original
question
2
is now question 3, and the original question 3 is now question 4, I
would
like for the instruction above to reflect that. The questions are
numbered
using Word's automatic numbering feature. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome—and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"K" wrote in message