Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

Default Link to previous button disabled

Hi all,

I'm putting together a new format. I have different first page and different
odd and even headers and footers. I created a template and am using it to
create a new test document.

However, as I'm working with my headers and footers, the "Link to Previous"
button is disabled (grayed out) and I can't select it. I've never seen this
before - can anyone tell my why this is happening and how I can enable the
button again? I don't want to have to copy and paste the same info into the
headers and footers.

Any advice is welcome.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Link to previous button disabled

Hi there!

The "Link to Previous" button is used to link the header or footer of the current section to the previous section. When it's disabled, it means that the current section is not linked to the previous section.

Here's how you can enable the "Link to Previous" button:
  1. Click on the header or footer of the current section.
  2. Go to the "Header & Footer Tools" tab.
  3. Look for the "Navigation" group and click on "Link to Previous" to toggle it on.

If the "Link to Previous" button is still disabled, it's possible that your document has multiple sections and the current section is not linked to the previous section. In this case, you can try the following steps:
  1. Go to the "Page Layout" tab.
  2. Look for the "Page Setup" group and click on "Breaks".
  3. Select "Next Page" under "Section Breaks".
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 for each section of your document.

By adding section breaks, you can link the headers and footers of each section separately and enable the "Link to Previous" button for each section.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Do you have more than one section? This button won't be enabled unless you
do. You can't link between First Page Header and Odd Page Header and Even
Page Header; they're all separate. The Link button there only links the
First Page Header in Section 1 to the First Page Header in Section 2 and so
on.

"WG, LI" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm putting together a new format. I have different first page and
different
odd and even headers and footers. I created a template and am using it to
create a new test document.

However, as I'm working with my headers and footers, the "Link to
Previous"
button is disabled (grayed out) and I can't select it. I've never seen
this
before - can anyone tell my why this is happening and how I can enable the
button again? I don't want to have to copy and paste the same info into
the
headers and footers.

Any advice is welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WG, LI WG, LI is offline

Suzanne:

(Red-faced) Sorry, I should have thought of this before I huffed and puffed.
Thanks for the reminder.

(Retreats, tail between legs).....