Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SuzieQ SuzieQ is offline

Default Difficult Page Numbering/Section Break/Line Numbering Issue

I'm baffled. I've read quite a few answers to questions, but I can't seem to
find one that fits what I've got going on. Any help would be appreciated.

We draft patent applications. Towards the end of the document is a section
called the claims. The patent office requires that any claims over 5 lines
be numbered. The numbers have to restart for each claim over 5 lines.

We accomplish this by placing a continuous section break at the beginning
and end of each claim, like this:

----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
1. A method for numbering claims . . . .
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the pages don't renumber.
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
----------------Section Break (Continuous)--------------------------
3. etc.

The entire document is formatted with no different first page, headers on
each page containing our docket number and footers on each page containing a
consecutive page number. Page numbering is only applied to the claims
section, and it is set to number by five and restart at each section break.

The pages will number just fine until you get to the claims section. Then
the first page of claims will be consecutive, and the next page will start at
one. Mind you, by now, the footer is footer section 13 or so whereas the
footer section for the previous page was footer section 1.

When formatting the page numbers, I tell it to continue from previous
section, which changes the number to 2. I know that page numbering directly
ties into section breaks, but how can I tell it to ignore the section breaks
and number consecutively?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm confused. The claims themselves have to be numbered, or the pages
they're on have to be numbered, or claims over five lines have to have line
numbering? It seems that you're mixing a hodge-podge of numbering and page
numbering, so I can't figure out what result you're trying to achieve.

This statement I find especially puzzling:

"SuzieQ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SuzieQ SuzieQ is offline

My apologies.

The entire document must be PAGE NUMBERED consecutively beginning at one on
the first page.

Close to the end of the document, in the claims section, you must LINE
NUMBER any claim over 5 lines long, with line numbering starting over at EACH
SECTION.

The PAGE NUMBERS restart based on the SECTION BREAKS used to start and stop
the claim line numbering. Setting PAGE NUMBERING to continue from previous
section does not work because the SECTION BREAKS are continuous.

I hope that clears it up. If not, I would be happy to send a sample of what
I am talking about to you.

"SuzieQ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, that's what I rather thought. I'm guessing that, since the page
numbering restarts at 1 at the beginning of the claims section. Each
subsequent section is going to inherit the "Start at 1" property. You need
to nip that in the bud, so, in the second section of the Claims part, place
the insertion point in the center of the section, go to Insert | Page
Numbers, click Format..., and change the setting to "Continue from previous
section." OK out of that dialog but be careful to use Close rather than OK
to exit the Page Numbers dialog.

From that point on, your new sections should have continuous page numbering
without any problem.

Note that the above describes how to handle the situation when creating a
new document. For an existing document, you'll have to either delete all the
section breaks temporarily or go into each little section and repeat the
process.