Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Default "keep with next" not reliable in Word 2007

Can anybody offer some help with the "Keep with Next" check box in headings
in Word 2007?

I work with the paragraph markers visible, so I know that there are no empty
paragraphs after a heading.

The space after the paragraph is modest, like 3 pts.

Heading levels 1 and 2 sometimes keep the next paragraph with the heading
and sometimes the next paragraph breaks off to the next page. (I've tested
this with both single- and multi-line paragraphs.) From as far as I can tell,
heading levels 3 and 4 seem to work OK.

I've verified that the "keep with next" check box is indeed selected for all
my heading styles.

Is this just a bug of 2007? Do I need to know a secret encantation?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Check whether you have Keep Lines Together checked in any of your text
styles -- if you're telling Word it's not allowed ever to insert a
soft page break, it's going to have to add it somewhere!

On May 27, 4:06*pm, Kimmie B
wrote:
Can anybody offer some help with the "Keep with Next" check box in headings
in Word 2007?

I work with the paragraph markers visible, so I know that there are no empty
paragraphs after a heading.

The space after the paragraph is modest, like 3 pts.

Heading levels 1 and 2 sometimes keep the next paragraph with the heading
and sometimes the next paragraph breaks off to the next page. (I've tested
this with both single- and multi-line paragraphs.) From as far as I can tell,
heading levels 3 and 4 seem to work OK.

I've verified that the "keep with next" check box is indeed selected for all
my heading styles.

Is this just a bug of 2007? Do I need to know a secret encantation?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

That's a good thought. I just checked: None of the adjacent text styles has
the Keep Lines Together option selected.

Any other ideas?

wrote:
Can anybody offer some help with the "Keep with Next" check box in headings
in Word 2007?

I work with the paragraph markers visible, so I know that there are no empty
paragraphs after a heading.

The space after the paragraph is modest, like 3 pts.

Heading levels 1 and 2 sometimes keep the next paragraph with the heading
and sometimes the next paragraph breaks off to the next page. (I've tested
this with both single- and multi-line paragraphs.) From as far as I can tell,
heading levels 3 and 4 seem to work OK.

I've verified that the "keep with next" check box is indeed selected for all
my heading styles.

Is this just a bug of 2007? Do I need to know a secret encantation?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Also see if the bodytext paragraphs do not have KWN or KLT attribute applied.
If you have too many of them applied to consecutive items you can get some
interesting results :-)
Hope this helps
DeanH