leedelee

Default Split a mail merge document into individual documents

How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into individual
documents to save each letter in a separate place?
Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shelly Faye

Thank you for your "splitmergeletter" macro - it really helps - except for
one thing - formatting is coorect when I merge to new doc - it changes the
font only when I execute your macro??!!

Why?

The original letter is in Arial, the resulting letters are in Arial, the
split letters are in Times New Roman - and as there is a specific look on the
page - eg letterhead also in Arial, we want to preserve the original look.

Thank you for your help.

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In place of the

Documents.Add

command in the macro, use

Documents.Add Template:="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office" _
& "\Templates\Memos\Professional Memo.dot"replacing 'C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office" _
& "\Templates\Memos\Professional Memo.dot"

With the name of the template used to create the mail merge main document.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shelly Faye

I've hit another glitch - everything works great - the font is behaving
properly, the file names that are being saved are perfect - only one problem
- after running the SplitMergeLetter macro, no matter what I do to the bottom
of the merge letter original, the created file has a printing blank page at
the end, with only a paragraph symbol on it.

At the very end of my original merge document, there is only one paragraph
mark that cannot be removed, and the large document that results from the
merge has no blank pages, only a section break after the last character on
each page, only after I split the letters does the blank page show up.

Can anyone help?

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Using this macro should overcome that problem:

Sub splitter()
' splitter Macro
' Macro created by Doug Robbins to save each letter created by a mailmerge
' as a separate file, retaining the header and footer information.
Dim i As Long, Source As Document, Target As Document, Letter As Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To Source.Sections.Count
Set Letter = Source.Sections(i).Range
Set Target = Documents.Add
Target.Range = Letter
Target.Sections(2).PageSetup.SectionStart = wdSectionContinuous
Target.SaveAs FileName:="Letter" & i
Target.Close
Next i
End Sub

It changes the section break at the end of each letter to a continuous
section break.
--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Richard M 2006 Richard M 2006 is offline

Hello Doug,
Where do I go to open and edit the macro to change the command. Tools,
macro, macros lets me see your macro, but the edit button is greyed out OR
the error says the project cannot be viewed.
Thanks,
Richard

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I assume that you are talking about the addin downloaded from Graham's site.
With Word not running, move the file from the Word Startup folder into your
Templates folder and then use FileOpen in Word to open that file. After
modifying it, you will then need to save it and move it back into the
Startup folder and restart Word.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Samy Samy is offline

Hi
I am not very technically inclined but I can generally help myself but I am
currently stumped. I have tried to make the change to the macro as described
below and I keep getting a message that the project is unviewable. I am
using Office 2007. The add-in works very well but instead of a single page
document I have three pages. Please help...

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You will need to use FileOpen, and then navigate to the Word Startup folder
and open the template that contains the code. Then while you have the
template open, you will be able to access the code in it to make the change.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

I was so happy when I found this macro of Grahams. It sounds like it will do
exactly what I need. Unfortuantely, when I run it I get the following error:

Run-time error 4608: Value out of range.

I'm exporting a dbase file from Access 03. In the query I've added the
Folder/File Name field:

Folder: "\\cee-data\conference forms\" & [GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year]

The macro runs; I tell it to split and then I get the error. I click OK on
the error window and a single merged document opens. What could be wrong?
Is it because I have spaces in my folder names? The file names in the sample
have spaces, but maybe that doesn't translate to folder names.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA~
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What is typically displayed by the Folder: "\\cee-data\conference forms\" &
[GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year] field in your query?

If you create a macro containing the code

FileSaveAs "what is displayed in as asked above"

and run it with any document active (a blank one will do), does it save the
document correctly or do you get the same error message.

I think that the \\ may be causing a problem.

--

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Kirstin Kirstin is offline

I've tried multiple formats:

\\cee-data\share\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
S:\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative

I've tried creating a new merge doc without using the individual folder
option and still get the error message. I'm stumped and running out of time.

--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are getting an error message when you are not trying to create
individual documents, then the problem would appear to be with something
else.

If you want to send me the mail merge main document and the data source, I
will create the letters for you and send them back.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

&

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into
individual documents to save each letter in a separate place?

LC2 LC2 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedelee View Post
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up into individual
documents to save each letter in a separate place?

Hello. I found your Mail Merge Split Document macro and I was testing it with a rather large mail merge (using Office 2010). I noticed something that I wanted to change and I did a Ctrl + Break and 'Ended' the macro. I changed the spacing of the merge document and saved as the default for only that document (not to normal.dotm). I tried running the macro again and now a window appears that is labeled, 'Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications - MMtoDocs(2010) Ver 2.2 [break].

I have tried recreating the default template for MS Word, normal.dotm and that didn't work. I imagine that the change I made to the document affected the macro. I get the VBA window with any mail merge letter that I try running the macro with. If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

I must add that it was working great until I created this problem!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Split a mail merge document into individual documents

To split a mail merge document into individual documents, follow these steps:
  1. Open the mail merge document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Mailings" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Finish & Merge" and then select "Edit Individual Documents" from the dropdown menu.
  4. In the "Merge to New Document" dialog box, select "All" under "Records" and then click "OK".
  5. This will create a new document with all the merged letters in it.
  6. To save each letter as a separate document, go to the "File" tab and click "Save As".
  7. In the "Save As" dialog box, choose a location to save the files and give them a name.
  8. In the "Save as type" dropdown menu, select "Word Document (*.docx)".
  9. Click "Save" and the document will be saved as a separate file.

You can repeat steps 6-9 for each letter in the merged document to save them all as separate files.