Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KyleW KyleW is offline

Default Making only certain parts of a document editable?

Hello all,

For document control purposes, how do you make only certain parts of a
document editable? I have a few forms that I would like protected by
password so that employees are not using the incorrect version or cannot edit
the document themselves. But I would like them to be able to fill in the
blank fields in the document for their use. How would I go about doing this?
Is it possible?

Thank you in advance.
--
Regards,

Kyle W
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:23:00 -0700, KyleW
wrote:

Hello all,

For document control purposes, how do you make only certain parts of a
document editable? I have a few forms that I would like protected by
password so that employees are not using the incorrect version or cannot edit
the document themselves. But I would like them to be able to fill in the
blank fields in the document for their use. How would I go about doing this?
Is it possible?

Thank you in advance.

One way to do this is to make a 'protected form' in which you insert
form fields. See http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22
for a tutorial.

If you and all the people who will use the form have Word 2003 or
2007, you can use a different mechanism in the Protect Document pane.
You protect the whole document as read-only, and then allow exceptions
in certain areas. For more on this, look up the Help topic "Allow
editing in a protected document".

Finally, if everyone has Word 2007, you can use the new Content
Controls (on the Developer tab, which you must enable in the Word
Options dialog). You place content controls where you want to allow
editing; then select the entire document and insert a Rich Text
content control that you lock against editing and against deletion.
The inner content controls remain editable, like form fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

How to create editable places in non-editable document? Ruslan Microsoft Word Help 2 September 24th 06 06:18 PM
editable word document Mike Page Layout 1 January 13th 06 12:43 AM
make document editable Marty New Users 4 January 5th 06 09:35 PM
template with editable and non-editable areas Paul Page Layout 7 November 26th 05 06:12 PM
How to convert editable word doc to editable html in a browser? Clever Ann Microsoft Word Help 1 March 22nd 05 06:18 AM