nattyj21

Default How do I copy Microsoft Word to take from my old to new computer

I need to make a copy of the Microsoft Word that is on my old computer to put
on my new computer. I no longer have a disc for it!?
Thanks
Jezebel

Not at all easy. Word consists of a whole lot of files which --

a) will be hard to identify on your old computer: apart from the main
application (winword.exe), there are *many* code libary files
b) have to be registered on the new computer: merely copying them to the new
computer is not sufficient
c) are likely to be incompatible with existing files on your new computer

On top of which, the installation procedure on the CD also handles the
registration, needed for the application to run on that computer.

"nattyj21" wrote in message
I need to make a copy of the Microsoft Word that is on my old computer to
put
on my new computer. I no longer have a disc for it!?
Thanks

Amedee Van Gasse

Jezebel shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

"nattyj21" wrote in message
I need to make a copy of the Microsoft Word that is on my old
computer to put on my new computer. I no longer have a disc for
it!? Thanks

And that's only the technical problem.

If Word came with your old computer, it's probably OEM so you're not
*allowed* to move it to another computer.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.7
Joe McGuire

Basically, it is pretty much impossible without the CD, unless you are some
sort of computer genius. If you purchased your own copy of Word or Office
you might be able to obtain a new CD from Microsoft, with appropriate proof.
If you got the software already installed on the computer it is OEM; you
would still not be able to install it on a new machine even if you still had
the CD. That's part of the deal when you save money with the OEM version.

Joe McGuire

"nattyj21" wrote in message
I need to make a copy of the Microsoft Word that is on my old computer to
put
on my new computer. I no longer have a disc for it!?
Thanks

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

It all boils down to a very simple answer - You can't.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"nattyj21" wrote in message
I need to make a copy of the Microsoft Word that is on my old computer to
put
on my new computer. I no longer have a disc for it!?
Thanks

Amedee Van Gasse

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP] shared this with us in
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It all boils down to a very simple answer - You can't.

I always read such absolute statements as a challenge. (°_°)

Lets' just say: *YOU* (nattyj21) can't.
*I* (Amedee) can (also because I have a cd, and on average 3 backup
copies of every software. Call me paranoid.)

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Amedee Van Gasse

Jezebel shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

Perhaps you didn't read the original post. The challenge is to do it
without a CD.

OK, I *did* read that. Let's say I can do it without actually using any
files on the cd, but using the cd as a reference of what files should
go where. And I admit: the registry keys would be... funky... and the
usability of Word would be... interesting...
However it would take a lot of time so if I would calculate my work
hours, going to the shop and buying a new cd would be cheaper.

--
Amedee Van Gasse