Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pocketknife Pocketknife is offline

Default Names of labels in "Options"

Previously the name of the label, such as "Ready Index 5-tab", appeared in
the list of labels as you scrolled up or down when choosing your lable
option. Not the case anymore. Only the label NUMBER shows. If you don't
know the specific product number, the only way to see the name of the label
is to use the up and down arrows and then the name of the label appears in
the information about the label in the box to the right of the list. I don't
always have the label chosen beforehand, I want to see what my Options area.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The following information was posted by fellow MVP - Bob Buckland:

Welcome to the 'flexibility' of XML in Word 2007 (i.e. you can change the
label lists if you wanted to g

I started looking at some of the other companies and noted that those, such
as C-Line Products showed both a number and a name
description in the Label Options 'Product Number' field, so I searched a bit

All of the out-of-the-box label definitions are stored in .XML files in the
\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 12\PageSize folder.

It looks like each of the label providers created their own XML documents to
list their labels, probably using something as simple
as an Infopath or Word form to create an XML file of label definitions.

Avery U.S. has a MS Partner ID of 81, so their definitions are in
PGMN081.xml PGLbl081.xml
Avery A4/A5 has a MS Partner ID of 48, their definitions are in
PGMN048.xml (papers) PGLBL048.xml (label sheets)
C-Line is Partner ID 97,
PGMN097.xml PGLbl081.xml

The Partner ID/Category Index and layout groupings by label type are in
PG_Index.xml

When you create a custom label it's placed in the User's appdata folder in a
file named pg_custom.xml

Each label name that appears in the list is stored in a field of
locName locale="all"Number & Name of Label/locName
(locale can vary)

It appears that some vendors chose to list just label numbers, some names,
and some a combination. Whether they didn't understand,
or thought there would be two fields, etc, is strictly guesswork but
it's possible to modify a label set.

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Unquote