Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb in MD Barb in MD is offline

Default Editing existing mailing label doc

How do I edit entries in an existing mail merge mailing label document? I
can select "edit recipient list" but then Word will not let me edit once I
select the table to use. These are my Christmas card labels and every year I
have some problem or another with this. I'd like to get this right once and
for all! Thanks.
--
Barb
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You edit the data source on which the merge is based and then re-merge.
Editing an attached data source is only an issue with Word 2007, which adds
an extra step that earlier versions didn't have - and is shown at
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm.

Barb in MD wrote:
How do I edit entries in an existing mail merge mailing label
document? I can select "edit recipient list" but then Word will not
let me edit once I select the table to use. These are my Christmas
card labels and every year I have some problem or another with this.
I'd like to get this right once and for all! Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Barb in MD Barb in MD is offline

Thanks. I'm working on it now. This is turning out to be a whole lot more
complicated than I expected and I could have retyped the labels or
handwritten them by now, but as I said before I want to get this right.
--
Barb

Barb in MD wrote:
How do I edit entries in an existing mail merge mailing label
document? I can select "edit recipient list" but then Word will not
let me edit once I select the table to use. These are my Christmas
card labels and every year I have some problem or another with this.
I'd like to get this right once and for all! Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you keep your addresses in Outlook - add a category (say) XMAS to those
contacts that are on your Christmas card list. Then when the time comes to
merge labels/envelopes filter the address list on that category -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm
It will be much simpler to maintain the category than to maintain a separate
mailing list.

If you don't have Outlook, create a one row table with as many columns as
you have fields in your merge data source (you may need to set the page to
Landscape). Attach your existing data source and insert a field from your
existing data source into each column. Set the document type to Directory
and merge to a new document. Add a row at the top of the document and insert
the field names above each column and you have a table that can be used as a
data source that will be easy to maintain. The end results would be as that
at http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

Barb in MD wrote:
How do I edit entries in an existing mail merge mailing label
document? I can select "edit recipient list" but then Word will
not let me edit once I select the table to use. These are my
Christmas card labels and every year I have some problem or another
with this. I'd like to get this right once and for all! Thanks.

Word 2002, editing existing document Taters Microsoft Word Help 0 December 16th 06 03:54 AM
how do i use an existing database to make mailing labels lmdw Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 06 05:26 PM
Editing an existing document Robert Ross Parker Page Layout 2 November 8th 05 07:18 PM
mailing label.. Mudit Govil Mailmerge 1 May 12th 05 10:09 PM
How to change mailing label size in existing label document GrannyAnn Microsoft Word Help 1 December 2nd 04 05:12 PM