Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tony B Tony B is offline

Default Losing Date Format Upon Mailmerge

Good day,

Using Excel/Word 2007

I have 3 date columns in Excel sheet, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Upon
mailmerge, one column retains this date format into the Word doc. However
the other two date columns appear as gregorian format - I think that's the
name? e.g. 1/18/2008 in Excel sheet, appears 39455 in the Word doc. I
have double-checked the format in the Excel dates, without luck. Really
appreciate it -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Pizza button inWord 2007, select Word Options and then go to the
Advanced tab General and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at
open" item. Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge main
document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of connection
which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

Tony B wrote:
Good day,

Using Excel/Word 2007

I have 3 date columns in Excel sheet, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Upon
mailmerge, one column retains this date format into the Word doc.
However the other two date columns appear as gregorian format - I
think that's the name? e.g. 1/18/2008 in Excel sheet, appears
39455 in the Word doc. I have double-checked the format in the Excel
dates, without luck. Really appreciate it -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tony B Tony B is offline

Wow! thank you Graham. It worked like a charm!

Note: I had to re-start (refresh) mailmerge and refresh recipient list,
where I selected DDE method.

p.s. - I wonder why one column of dates was merging as shown in Excel,
while two other columns were not. 'as though some fields were automatically
in DDE, and some were not. just a curiosity.

Really appreciated your help.

From the Pizza button inWord 2007, select Word Options and then go to the

Tony B wrote:
Good day,

Using Excel/Word 2007

I have 3 date columns in Excel sheet, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Upon
mailmerge, one column retains this date format into the Word doc.
However the other two date columns appear as gregorian format - I
think that's the name? e.g. 1/18/2008 in Excel sheet, appears
39455 in the Word doc. I have double-checked the format in the Excel
dates, without luck. Really appreciate it -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

DDE is no longer the default method of data attachment to a merge document
and so no formatting is brought over - only the underlying data. DDE can
still be used, as you have found, but it is a bit flaky.

Tony B wrote:
Wow! thank you Graham. It worked like a charm!

Note: I had to re-start (refresh) mailmerge and refresh recipient
list, where I selected DDE method.

p.s. - I wonder why one column of dates was merging as shown in
Excel, while two other columns were not. 'as though some fields were
automatically in DDE, and some were not. just a curiosity.

Really appreciated your help.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From the Pizza button inWord 2007, select Word Options and then go
to the Advanced tab General and check the box against the "Confirm

Tony B wrote:
Good day,

Using Excel/Word 2007

I have 3 date columns in Excel sheet, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Upon
mailmerge, one column retains this date format into the Word doc.
However the other two date columns appear as gregorian format - I
think that's the name? e.g. 1/18/2008 in Excel sheet, appears
39455 in the Word doc. I have double-checked the format in the
Excel dates, without luck. Really appreciate it -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Tony B" wrote in message

Wow! thank you Graham. It worked like a charm!

Note: I had to re-start (refresh) mailmerge and refresh recipient list,
where I selected DDE method.

p.s. - I wonder why one column of dates was merging as shown in Excel,
while two other columns were not. 'as though some fields were
automatically
in DDE, and some were not. just a curiosity.

Really appreciated your help.

From the Pizza button inWord 2007, select Word Options and then go to the

Tony B wrote:
Good day,

Using Excel/Word 2007

I have 3 date columns in Excel sheet, formatted as dd/mm/yyyy. Upon
mailmerge, one column retains this date format into the Word doc.
However the other two date columns appear as gregorian format - I
think that's the name? e.g. 1/18/2008 in Excel sheet, appears
39455 in the Word doc. I have double-checked the format in the Excel
dates, without luck. Really appreciate it -

Beyond frustrated with mailmerge date format Suzanne Mailmerge 5 November 7th 07 08:38 PM
Mailmerge date format Ocean Mailmerge 5 April 9th 06 06:28 PM
US / English date format mailmerge Bento72 Mailmerge 1 February 7th 06 02:57 PM
convert date format after mailmerge David.W. Mailmerge 1 May 9th 05 12:25 PM
Mailmerge changing date format Diane@Adlam Mailmerge 1 April 21st 05 04:35 PM