Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kat

Default unlinking only a footer?

I would like to have a picture in the header on all my document pages,
but a footer that is blank on page 1 and then has a line (drawing
object) and a page number on the rest of the pages.

I've been trying to figure out whether 2 sections is the best way to go
or not? I was hoping I coiuld just unlink footers and keep the header
the same across sections, but this doesn't appear to be possible.

I prefer not to have to paste the picture in twice (to keep file size
to its smallest). I don't know any other way to do this.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can unlink headers and footers independently (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm), but if you just want a
blank footer on page 1, there are two other approaches:

1. Check the box for "Different first page" on the Layout tab of Page Setup.
That will give you a separate First Page Footer that you can leave blank. It
will also give you a separate First Page Header. You say you don't want the
picture inserted twice, but there are ways around that. If the document
doesn't have to be portable, the best thing to do is link to the picture;
that way it's not embedded even once (in the Insert | Picture dialog, click
the arrow beside Insert and choose "Link to File"). Alternatively, insert
the picture in the First Page Header, bookmark it, and insert a REF field in
the Header (Insert | Cross-reference to Bookmark).

2. Use a conditional field for your footer with this syntax:

{ IF { PAGE } 1 "Text you want in your footer" }

To accomplish this create the footer, then Cut it to the Clipboard. Press
Ctrl+F9 to insert a field and type IF inside it. Press the Insert Page
Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert the { PAGE } field.
Then type

1 ""

Between the pair of quotes, press Ctrl+V to paste the footer you created.
This will display/print only on pp. 2ff.

ups.com...