LSCDMC LSCDMC is offline
Junior Member

Default Error related to trying to compare Word docs in 2010

Hi, thanks in advance for the help.
I'm attempting to compare two documents in MSWord Office 2010. I'm not new to doing document comparisons with 2 Word docs. I keep getting an error message that says, "You cannot merge these documents because document protection is in effect." However, I've gone into each of the two documents that I'm trying to compare (both of which are also MS Word docs) and made sure that no password protection is on in either one via the Review tab / Protect button feature. One doc had been protected, so I opened it with the password, saved it without reinstating any type of protection, and closed it. Then I tried again, and got the same error message. So I closed out of Word, making sure that each doc closed, in case it was a matter of simply "refreshing" the settings, and that didn't work, either. I get the same error message each time.
Is there some other from of "protection" on that I may not be seeing? Thanks!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Error related to trying to compare Word docs in 2010

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble comparing two Word documents in MS Word Office 2010. It sounds like you've already taken some steps to try to resolve the issue, but let's see if we can figure out what's going on.
  1. First, it's possible that there is some other form of protection on the documents that you're not aware of. One thing you can check is whether there are any sections in the documents that are protected. To do this, go to the Page Layout tab and click on the Breaks button. Then, select Next Page under Section Breaks. If there are any protected sections in the document, you should see a message that says "Section X is protected." If this is the case, you'll need to unprotect the section before you can compare the documents.
  2. Another thing to check is whether there are any tracked changes or comments in the documents. If there are, you'll need to accept or reject all changes and delete all comments before you can compare the documents.
  3. If neither of these things seems to be the issue, you might try copying the contents of each document into a new, blank document and then trying to compare those. Sometimes this can help to clear up any formatting or other issues that might be causing the problem.

I hope one of these suggestions helps you to resolve the issue and compare your documents successfully. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to help!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that you clicked the Stop Protection button? Did you also
clear any selections in the Restrict Formatting and Editing task pane (such
as "Limit formatting to a selection of styles" and "Allow only this type of
editing..." before attempting to compare the documents again?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"LSCDMC" wrote in message ...

[...]

LSCDMC LSCDMC is offline
Junior Member

Hi Stefan, I did make sure that everything was clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post