Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mm18 mm18 is offline

Default Copying content of HTML Document

Sometime ago, I posted a question on the Microsoft forum that involved
wanting to keep the original creation date of a Word document when I
retrieved it. The Word program was changing the date to the current date. A
Microsoft adviser responded with the suggested changes I needed to make.

However, I now have another problem because of this. If I copy some text
from a Web HTML document and copy it to Word, the document is full of
hyperlinks and the text is unreadable unless I manually go through the text
and convert all the hyperlinks to text. This is not a usable solution.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mm18 mm18 is offline

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that I can get the text by right
clicking on 'Toggle Field Codes'. When the document contains many hyperlinks,
this is a slow, tedious process. There was a time, before I made whatever
changes the Microsoft adviser recommended, that I could copy the text of the
HTML document and it would be directly readable, without the hyperlinks, and
I am trying to get back to that point.

mm18 wrote:
Sometime ago, I posted a question on the Microsoft forum that involved
wanting to keep the original creation date of a Word document when I
retrieved it. The Word program was changing the date to the current date. A
Microsoft adviser responded with the suggested changes I needed to make.

However, I now have another problem because of this. If I copy some text
from a Web HTML document and copy it to Word, the document is full of
hyperlinks and the text is unreadable unless I manually go through the text
and convert all the hyperlinks to text. This is not a usable solution.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you actually want the hyperlinks gone, or do you just want to *not*
see {HYPERLINK url.com }?

Toggle Field Codes should hide or show the field codes for the entire
document, I thought. Try hitting Alt-F9 instead, and if that still
doesn't hide the field codes, go to Tools | Options | View and uncheck
the box for field codes.

Your description of the two linked problems suggests you just want to
hide the field codes. But if you actually want the hyperlinks gone, then
Select all, and use control-shift-F9 to convert them all to plain text.
But this will wipe all your fields (cross-references, table of contents,
etc), not just hyperlinks. I'd test it on a COPY first.

mm18 wrote:

Sometime ago, I posted a question on the Microsoft forum that involved
wanting to keep the original creation date of a Word document when I
retrieved it. The Word program was changing the date to the current date. A
Microsoft adviser responded with the suggested changes I needed to make.

However, I now have another problem because of this. If I copy some text
from a Web HTML document and copy it to Word, the document is full of
hyperlinks and the text is unreadable unless I manually go through the text
and convert all the hyperlinks to text. This is not a usable solution.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
Toggle Field Codes should hide or show the field codes for the entire
document, I thought.

Wrongly. Considering I tested it and then wrote the wrong thing, I'm
going to claim a senior moment.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I just always use Alt+F9. I also added a button to my toolbar to do the same
thing (back in the days when remembering Alt+F9 was beyond me g). The
button does have the advantage that a glance at it shows the current status
of field code display (on or off).

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
Daiya Mitchell wrote:
Toggle Field Codes should hide or show the field codes for the entire
document, I thought.

Wrongly. Considering I tested it and then wrote the wrong thing, I'm
going to claim a senior moment.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?bW0xOA==?= wrote in
:

Sometime ago, I posted a question on the Microsoft forum that involved
wanting to keep the original creation date of a Word document when I
retrieved it. The Word program was changing the date to the current
date. A Microsoft adviser responded with the suggested changes I
needed to make.

However, I now have another problem because of this. If I copy some
text from a Web HTML document and copy it to Word, the document is
full of hyperlinks and the text is unreadable unless I manually go
through the text and convert all the hyperlinks to text. This is not a
usable solution.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

To begin. . . .in the event that your copying and pasting an entire web
page into Word?
Your likley copying many of the page navagational links or even 3d party
links (very common in web pages today) that are irrelevant to the
material that you intended to copy.
A simple method of reduction of irrelavant material is to use the
websites "print option" which drastically reduces content.

As an alternative to copying the page content into a Word document?
I frequently (if the entire page is relevant) save a local copy using my
browsers SAVE AS option.
In the event just a paragraph or two is relevant to my interests, I copy
and past that portion along with the source URL into either Notepad or an
RTF file.

It's not necessary to co-mingle all these items in a WORD format or
atmosphere today, which results in excessive tasks.
Rather, there are many desktop tool which allow you to view locally
saved materials in the many file formats (different softwares) that your
computer has installed. (I use Copernic Desktop Tool).

Another option for you to consider is viweing the PRINT page-SOURCE html
and making html reductions in that format (not a good idea to attempt
copying html into Word), there exists many tools for removing either ALL
html or selected portions.