Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lyn Lyn is offline

Default How to set up a section in a template to not print

I have set up a template with instructions on the first page of the document
(as a section). The template is protected for filling in forms. Most users
will just hit the print button instead of selecting the appropriate section
to print. Thus, the instruction page is printed every time. Is there a way
to set up the property of the section where I have the instructions so that
when the user hits the print button, the instruction section will not print?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can do this by intercepting the FilePrint and FilePrintDefault commands
with macros.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lyn" wrote:

I have set up a template with instructions on the first page of the document
(as a section). The template is protected for filling in forms. Most users
will just hit the print button instead of selecting the appropriate section
to print. Thus, the instruction page is printed every time. Is there a way
to set up the property of the section where I have the instructions so that
when the user hits the print button, the instruction section will not print?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, in the simple case where the document has two sections, and you only
want to print the second, use these macros (in the attached template):

Sub FilePrint()
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages, _
Pages:="s2", Copies:=1, PrintToFile:=False, _
Item:=wdPrintDocumentContent

End Sub

Sub FilePrintDefault()
ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages, _
Pages:="s2", Copies:=1, PrintToFile:=False, _
Item:=wdPrintDocumentContent

End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

The example macros assume that you want to print to the default printer.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lyn" wrote:

I have set up a template with instructions on the first page of the
document
(as a section). The template is protected for filling in forms. Most
users
will just hit the print button instead of selecting the appropriate
section
to print. Thus, the instruction page is printed every time. Is there a
way
to set up the property of the section where I have the instructions so
that
when the user hits the print button, the instruction section will not
print?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Print section KBA Microsoft Word Help 5 November 22nd 06 09:15 AM
What should the Section Start be when creating a new template? jet47 Page Layout 4 December 23rd 05 03:11 AM
How do I get a section of text to NOT print dormouse Page Layout 1 November 1st 05 05:30 PM
How do I print endnotes at the end of a section Art Kavanagh New Users 2 April 22nd 05 04:23 PM
How do I print page numbers in only 1 section of a multi-section . moniblues Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 05 01:57 AM