Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jordan. Jordan. is offline

Default I closed a file, clicked "Do not save" by accident. Can I get it b

I was under the impression that Word autosaves every 10 minutes. I was at
school today and I accidentally closed my document, clicked "do not save" and
now I am out two days of homework due tomorrow.

When I search in the Vista search bar "FinalExam" or "autorecovery
finalexam" nothing shows up. It brings up recovery files for a bunch of
different documents but not the one I need. I seriously need help!!!!
Greatly appreciated thank you!
-JB
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

If you didn't save it, there is nothing to retrieve.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jordan." wrote in message
I was under the impression that Word autosaves every 10 minutes. I was at
school today and I accidentally closed my document, clicked "do not save"
and
now I am out two days of homework due tomorrow.

When I search in the Vista search bar "FinalExam" or "autorecovery
finalexam" nothing shows up. It brings up recovery files for a bunch of
different documents but not the one I need. I seriously need help!!!!
Greatly appreciated thank you!
-JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For additional background: Word does autosave, at intervals that you can set in
the options dialog, but the autosave files are automatically deleted when you
close the document normally. The autosave files are available only if Word
crashes while the document is open.

It probably won't be of any use if you're working on the school's computers, but
you can set up your own machine to make real backups. See
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jordan." wrote in message
I was under the impression that Word autosaves every 10 minutes. I was at
school today and I accidentally closed my document, clicked "do not save"
and
now I am out two days of homework due tomorrow.

When I search in the Vista search bar "FinalExam" or "autorecovery
finalexam" nothing shows up. It brings up recovery files for a bunch of
different documents but not the one I need. I seriously need help!!!!
Greatly appreciated thank you!
-JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Whenever a computer crashes, its memory content is lost (or dumped).
So for "safety" reasons, Word autosave files get stored on the hard
disc. When you close Word normally, these files get deleted. So I
would guess that, if you don't pollute the drive with a lot of other
stuff, an undelete program might very well be able to recover
autosaved files from a drive.

I find it strange that the above solution is never mentioned in any
thread. Am I missing something obvious? Or is this answer considered
too hard with only a slim chance of success?

Yves

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

"Jordan." wrote in message
I was under the impression that Word autosaves every 10 minutes. *I was at
school today and I accidentally closed my document, clicked "do not save"
and
now I am out two days of homework due tomorrow.

When I search in the Vista search bar "FinalExam" or "autorecovery
finalexam" nothing shows up. *It brings up recovery files for a bunch of
different documents but not the one I need. *I seriously need help!!!!
Greatly appreciated thank you!
-JB- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the original file was never saved, there was nothing for the
AutoSave to record the changes in. (People aren't asking how to get
back files they accidentally deleted -- they're asking how to get back
files they never saved.)

"Jordan." wrote in message
I was under the impression that Word autosaves every 10 minutes. *I was at
school today and I accidentally closed my document, clicked "do not save"
and
now I am out two days of homework due tomorrow.

When I search in the Vista search bar "FinalExam" or "autorecovery
finalexam" nothing shows up. *It brings up recovery files for a bunch of
different documents but not the one I need. *I seriously need help!!!!
Greatly appreciated thank you!
-JB- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven --

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, this is not true. Word creates AutoRecovery backups even of files that
have never been saved. There is no AutoSave; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/AutomaticSave.htm

http://word.mvps.org