jherk

Default can't open a read only file from disc; only shows as tiny boxes

i was going to print a paper for my cousin and the disc he gave me only shows
as tiny boxes when i open it in word; he saved it at home through word. the
file opens in word as read only and only shows tiny boxes instead of font.
since he tried opening it at work (which i believe uses wordperfect), it is
possible he inadvertantly saved it as a wp document without realizing it (but
it doesnt come up that way). i was just wondering if there is anything i
hadn't tried yet to open this file...thanks!
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?amhlcms=?=,

i was going to print a paper for my cousin and the disc he gave me only shows
as tiny boxes when i open it in word; he saved it at home through word. the
file opens in word as read only and only shows tiny boxes instead of font.
since he tried opening it at work (which i believe uses wordperfect), it is
possible he inadvertantly saved it as a wp document without realizing it (but
it doesnt come up that way). i was just wondering if there is anything i
hadn't tried yet to open this file...

Probably not. Either, as you say, it's been saved in the wrong file format (but
then I'd expect Word to recognize that and offer to convert), or - more likely -
he saved the document while working on it in Word then removed the diskette
before all the scratch and temp files resolved properly.

It's very dangerous to save Word files to diskette. They should always be closed
in Word, then copied to diskette using Windows Explorer.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

How to creat relative and shorthand file path names? 2dogs Microsoft Word Help 1 May 15th 05 12:11 PM
open file talbert Microsoft Word Help 1 May 3rd 05 03:14 PM
Word experienced an error trying to open the file...... Jspagnoli Microsoft Word Help 0 April 8th 05 07:19 PM
I want to open a file that is read only as a not read only. How do frank E. Microsoft Word Help 1 January 7th 05 06:45 PM
Text Recovery and Open & Repair in WD 2003? UserRAW1975 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 22nd 04 03:00 AM