Steve Nickerson

Default auto resize tables and html format

To accomodate a client that needs a dynamically generated report in Word 2000
format for a web app, we decided to use office html (word html) format. This
allowed us to skip the installation of word on the web server and not use
automation which is slower.

However, there is a problem with tables that are generated that are
becoming too wide. When word opens this file (its in html format with the
word html styles etc) if i go to manually set table properties and turn off
the auto resizing option, it is greyed out and says that IE/Netscape does not
support that feature. If the doc is saved in word format (*.doc) then this
option becomes available.

My assessment of this is that I won't get the behavior im looking for as
html tables and overrun aren't set the same way as with word. i.e.) if you
have a width on a col set and the contents are too large it will expand the
table to accomodate.

Perhaps setting widths with inline styles?

My question is more corroboration of my testing and research. Am I missing
something? Is this behavior possible.

system needs to work with Word 2000 minimum. Would have loved to use the
new WordML xml type language instead, but that is 2003 only it seems.

thanks in advance for any assistance,

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Steve,

Without seeing one of the files (URL?) you've
generate there could be several factors.

There is some interplay between the cell properties
in a table and the autofit choice.

When you save a Word document as Word Web document
in Word it includes information from
Tools=Options=General=[Web Options] on browser
compatability.

Both Word 2002 and 2003 have web document features
built in that at best Word 2000 acquired with the
use of the Office 2000 HTML addin
(http://office.microsoft.com/downloads)
and there was a bug in table size saving as percentages
in Word 2000.

I'm also not clear on what styles you're looking at
in this case. Word's own 'table styles' feature
of Word 2003 isn't fully supported in Word 2000
and the CSS capabilities were a bit more limited.

I'm assuming from your description that you're created
a web document from within Word with the data you're
using to create it externally?

========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Steve Nickerson

Thanks for the reply. I figured out how to get around this problem before I
read this though.

The behavior I was hoping for was a wrapping of text inside the table cells
with a table width that didnt go past the page margins. what I changed was
the desired width property of the table. It was set to be 100%, and in html
that would equate to expanding the table to fit. (thats the behavior that was
appearing anyway). Removing the width attribute completely from the table
tag solved the problem.

The styles i was referring to were in the table style="" tags. there was
a width=100.0 style there as well as the regular width attribute for the
table tag.

Maybe this will help others. Thanks again for the reply.

steve