Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Barb Reinhardt

Default Tilde over X

I'd like to type a X with a tilde over it and have had no success. I've
tried CTRL SHIFT ~ and n and don't have a problem, but when I enter X
instead, nothing. I've also tried using the field codes listed here

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

But the tilde is not above the X, it's through the middle of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

The combining tilde is U+303 (decimal 771) so if you type X followed by
holding down Alt while typing 0771 on the numeric keypad you should get
what you want - there may be an easier way, of course.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in message
I'd like to type a X with a tilde over it and have had no success. I've
tried CTRL SHIFT ~ and n and don't have a problem, but when I enter X
instead, nothing. I've also tried using the field codes listed here

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

But the tilde is not above the X, it's through the middle of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The combining tilde is the way to go for this particular application, but
note that with the EQ \o field, you can select specific characters in the
field and raise or lower them using the Format | Font | Character Spacing
dialog.

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
The combining tilde is U+303 (decimal 771) so if you type X followed by
holding down Alt while typing 0771 on the numeric keypad you should get
what you want - there may be an easier way, of course.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in

message
I'd like to type a X with a tilde over it and have had no success.

I've
tried CTRL SHIFT ~ and n and don't have a problem, but when I enter X
instead, nothing. I've also tried using the field codes listed here

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

But the tilde is not above the X, it's through the middle of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

The Ctrl+Shift+~ won't work with X because there is no single character in
the font that combines an X and a tilde.

In the Overbar article, look at Figure 8 and the paragraph that precedes it
("If you find that the overbar is too high or low to display properly...").

Another alternative is a different tilde character from the "combining
diacritical marks" part of the Unicode fonts. If you have Word 2002 or 2003,
first type
X0303
and then press Alt+X. The 0303 is the code number for the combining tilde,
which will automatically appear over the X.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Barb Reinhardt wrote:
I'd like to type a X with a tilde over it and have had no success.
I've tried CTRL SHIFT ~ and n and don't have a problem, but when I
enter X instead, nothing. I've also tried using the field codes
listed here

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

But the tilde is not above the X, it's through the middle of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Unfortunately you can't quite do X0303, Alt+x because the Alt+x shortcut
only works on what Word considers a word and it fails to translate X0303.

What you can do is (space)0303, Alt+x and then carefully select the space
and overtype it with X.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Barb Reinhardt wrote:
I'd like to type a X with a tilde over it and have had no success.
I've tried CTRL SHIFT ~ and n and don't have a problem, but when I
enter X instead, nothing. I've also tried using the field codes
listed here

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm

But the tilde is not above the X, it's through the middle of it.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Barb Reinhardt

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Tilde over X

Hi Barb,

I'm happy to help you with typing a tilde over the letter X in Microsoft Word.

Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the tilde over the letter X.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Symbol" in the "Symbols" group.
  4. In the drop-down menu, select "More Symbols."
  5. In the "Symbol" dialog box, select "Latin-1 Supplement" from the "Subset" drop-down menu.
  6. Scroll down until you find the letter "X" with a tilde over it (should be near the bottom).
  7. Click on the letter "X" with the tilde over it to select it.
  8. Click on the "Insert" button to insert the symbol into your document.

That's it! You should now have an X with a tilde over it in your document.