J. Verburg

Default loose table border at top of new page

Hi,

Another approach to the problem I posted earlier:

I have a table in which only the top row has a border. However, if the cell
below the top row grows long enough to wrap to the next page, the same
border from the top row appears at the top of that second page. How do I
prevent this?

(Must have been asked a 'few' times before, but I could not find the answer)

Thanks,
Jeroen Verburg

Stefan Blom

Have you tried to add a top border to the *paragraphs* in the cells,
instead? If the same cell contains multiple paragraphs, Word won't add a
border between them (unless you specifically add such borders). Note
that you have to set the cell margins to zero, in order for the borders
to merge across cells.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"J. Verburg" wrote in message
Hi,

Another approach to the problem I posted earlier:

I have a table in which only the top row has a border. However, if the

cell
below the top row grows long enough to wrap to the next page, the same
border from the top row appears at the top of that second page. How do

prevent this?

(Must have been asked a 'few' times before, but I could not find the

answer)

Thanks,
Jeroen Verburg

J. Verburg

Yes, I tried that. (see snippet form my post 'strange behavoiur of boxed
paragraph in table' below). The paragraph-borders do not seem to act very
predictably.

As a temporary workaround I have inserted an extra row, with fixed height
set at minimum. This row 'catches' the bottom border of the row above.
Still I would be interested in e real solution...

Jeroen

You can reproduce an example of my problem like this:

1: incomplete border:
Insert a table. Select the table and turn off al the borders. Then type some
text in one of the cells. Select the text (not the entire cell) and then in
the borders/shading dialog define a border around it, and apply to the
paragraph. The border around the paragraph is incomplete.

2: complete border:
Insert a table. (Do NOT change the table borders right now). Then type some
text in one of the cells. Select the text (not the entire cell) and then in
the borders/shading dialog define a border around it, and apply to the
paragraph. NOW select the whole table, and turn off all table borders. The
border around the paragraph remains complete.

Problems: this involves editing all the tables I have already made manually,
AND it does not really look very good.

"Stefan Blom" schreef in bericht

"J. Verburg" wrote in message
Hi,

Another approach to the problem I posted earlier:

I have a table in which only the top row has a border. However, if the

cell
below the top row grows long enough to wrap to the next page, the same
border from the top row appears at the top of that second page. How do

prevent this?

(Must have been asked a 'few' times before, but I could not find the

answer)

Thanks,
Jeroen Verburg

Stefan Blom

Does decreasing the distance between borders and text make a difference?
Here's how: In the Borders and Shading dialog box, click the Borders
tab, and then click Options. At "From text", specify zero for Top, Left,
Bottom, and Right.

Other things to test: Add left and right indents, and/or spacing before
or after, to the paragraphs, and see if that helps. (The idea is to get
a distance between cell boundaries and paragraph borders.)

In my version (Word 2000) the above suggestions improve the situation,
but I wouldn't say that it seems to work correctly (or even that the
result is predictable).

So perhaps using cell borders and living with their limitations is the
only choice, after all. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP