Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jamie Furlong

Default Exam question wrong about Word? Opinions, please!

I had an exam in which the following question was asked:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...L2_602_q22.png
(You may need to "click the pic" to make it full size)

There were 4 questions, but as we were under exam conditions, I had to do a
rather clandestine screen dump to the fileserver, so I didn't get the other
two options, but there were regarding alignment, I think "paragraph
alignment" and "indent". Definitely nothing to do with it.

So, we are left with "font" and "font size".
Definitely not font. But not font size either! So, I called an invigilator
over. She scratched her head, and along came another one.
Eventually, they said "skip that question, see us after".
So, I was sent to the the Office expert, who said "Ah, this is font - the
font size is different".
She then struggled to demonstrate it on Word 2000. She was able to make a
bullet change size, but could not make the line text the SAME size as shown,
AND get the font size dropdown to show a consistant font.
We then tried it on Word 2002. This time, she was able to highlight the
bullets, and make them change size.
But this time they didn't change pattern!
She gave up and said "it must be a different version, I don't know, but the
question cannot be wrong."

This is the ONE question I got wrong (because I hadn't answered it), had
this question been possible, I would have got 100%.

Yes, I still passed, but I'd like to get it sorted properly, for the sake of
other people in the future.

So, before I make a fool of myself to the exam board, is there ANY way this
question CAN be right?
For me, it was just about the satisfaction of getting 100%, but for someone
else, that question might be the difference between pass and fail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

I can't be certain from the screen dump (exact reproduction may depend on
font, zoom, etc.) but the bullets all look like the same pattern to me, just
a different size, and I have no difficulty reproducing the situation exactly
in Word 2000 or Word 2003.

Type three lines of text in Arail 12 point - close enough to the sample
text.
Adjust the column width if you like, it makes no difference.
Select the lines and click on the bullets icon on the formatting toolbar
Select Format Bullets and Numbering Bullets tab
Choose the cross pattern bullet character as per the example
Close the dialog
Select the third line
Select Format Bullets and Numbering Bullets tab
Click on Customize
Click on Font
Change the font size to 8
Close the dialog
That's it!

The dialogs are slightly different in different versions but they all work
the same way.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Jamie Furlong" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jamie Furlong

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
I can't be certain from the screen dump (exact reproduction may depend on
font, zoom, etc.)

The screen dump is a lossless png - wysiwis (what you see is what I saw),
providing you're looking at it "full size"!

but the bullets all look like the same pattern to me, just
a different size, and I have no difficulty reproducing the situation
exactly
in Word 2000 or Word 2003.

Thanks - that was one of the many things the "Office Expert Invigilator"
person tried.
She also thought she "had it", but the question says:
"What is inconsistant about the bulleted list", NOT "the list bullets" or
"the bullets".
Also, even if that WAS what they meant, if you do what you say, then drag
the selector across all the text, and then look at the font size box, you
will see that the font size shows as consistant in the box.

Remember, it is the LIST that is bulleted that is under consideration.
At which point, the Office person agreed with me

I appreciate your help though! Got another one?

(Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested in opinions before I write to
the exam board tomorrow)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Changing the font size of the bullet does not change the font size of the
text so of course all the text will show the same size. In newer versions of
Word (not immediately sure in 2000) you can select the bullet and see (and
change) its font size without affecting the text.

I won't begin to discuss the meaning of "bulleted list". It seems pretty
clear to me what the answer to the question is and, if I were you, I would
walk away.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:04:54 +0100 from Jamie Furlong
:
I had an exam in which the following question was asked:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...L2_602_q22.png
(You may need to "click the pic" to make it full size)

There were 4 questions, but as we were under exam conditions, I had to do a
rather clandestine screen dump to the fileserver, so I didn't get the other
two options, but there were regarding alignment, I think "paragraph
alignment" and "indent". Definitely nothing to do with it.

So, we are left with "font" and "font size".
Definitely not font. But not font size either! So, I called an invigilator
over. She scratched her head, and along came another one.
Eventually, they said "skip that question, see us after".
So, I was sent to the the Office expert, who said "Ah, this is font - the
font size is different".

The bullet _characters_ are different. Look at the proportion of
space within the characters -- the third one is definitely not simply
a shrunken version of the first two.

Either they are two different dingbats from the same font, or they're
from different fonts and may or may not be the same character number.
There might _also_ be a font-size difference, but that's not the
primary problem.

But unless you forgot to tell us one of the possible answers, it was
a particularly stupid question for an exam.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

The bullet _characters_ are different. Look at the proportion of
space within the characters --

Physical representations of small glyphs are limited by the number of pixels
available. Examined closely the proportions *cannot* be exactly the same,
but the two bullets in the picture are the same character. As already said I
can reproduce this easily with a simple change of font size.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rae Drysdale

The font size for the 3rd bullet is 2 or 3 sizes smaller than the other two.
After applying the bullets, position cursor in 3rd line and format bullets
and numbering. Select Customize, then Font and change the size to 9 or 10. It
then looks like the screendump. So the answer is font size.
--
Rae Drysdale