Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JE JE is offline

Default Spell check in Word and Outlook

We received this message from an 86-year-old relative. The problem was solved
was on his computer, now needs to be solved on her computer, and we are two
hours away. It almost sounds like they bought a foreign language version of
Office, but that English is not a choice. Any solutions?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She sent her first e-mail after you had installed the Microsoft Office Home
and Student 2007.

"The problem is that the spell checker flags every practically every word in
the message even though they are not misspelled.

"I remembered then that the technician who saved my data from the crashed
old computer and then loaded up the new computer with various software found
that the new spell checker had a problem in that it also checked as
misspelled many words that were not. I vaguely remember that it seemed to
have a French bias so the technician experimented to get it back into a
purely English version - but somehow or other none of the tinkering worked,
so he then, I think, somehow or other uninstalled the spell checker part of
the new software and then went searching (in the Internet ?) for a new spell
checker to replace the old one. He found one somewhere for free and
downloaded and installed it. It worked very well but I was somewhat
disappointed to find that it apparently didn't know nearly as many words as I
know and in fact not nearly as many as I thought it should know. Of course
over time I have kept adding new words to it so that it has become reasonably
wortreich."
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I believe the issue here is with Outlook Express rather than Outlook. Office
Home and Student 2007 doesn't include Outlook, and it also doesn't share its
proofing tools with Outlook Express any more. If there are problems with
spell checking in Word itself, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm, but if the issue is
with OE wanting to spell check in French, then a third-party spelling
checker is indeed what is needed (unless you can reinstall the proofing
tools from a previous version of Office); see
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm and
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061229.htm

http://word.mvps.org