Sandra Grawunder

Default Need a template with a permanent list along left side of page

We have a standard template with our logo, etc. across the top. Occasionally
we need to print letters where our list of Board of Directors is printed down
the left side of the page directly beneath the logo.
I have tried using the 2 column approach with the Board list in a left
column and our body text in a larger right column, but editing and formatting
becomes a nightmare and the text in the left column gets moved around.
Presently I am using a jpg that I created of our Board list, inserting this
into the page, and using place behind text so I can move it beyond the
margins set for the body text. This works much better but I still have some
individuals in the office that cannot manage to create a letter without
moving the graphic off base.
Is there a way to create a header or footer thingie that is on the side of a
letter rather than top or bottom???
Thanks, Sandra Grawunder
Jay Freedman

Sandra Grawunder wrote:
[...]

See "More complex letterhead" in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm. Follow the instructions
for creating a textbox or frame that is anchored in the header and extends
down the left margin.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Charles Kenyon

Yes, you would use a textbox or frame in the first-page header. Take a look
at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you want one
header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Sandra Grawunder" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Charles Kenyon

Sorry, way beyond my skill level here. I don't use Word to draft email
messages. Generally headers are not part of an email message AFAIK. You can
send the document as an attachment and it will then have the header (and
your list).
--

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
howdylee howdylee is offline

I have a similar problem, but twice as complicated. Similar to the last
picture on the link, but with the body to be divided into two columns. The
left margin needs to be maintained. The problem I'm having is that I don't
need the text box on subsequent pages but need to maintain its margin(for a
picture background). If I don't have a text box on following pages, the
columns freak out and start altering their start points.
I've tried to change the margin, but it moves my background picture over as
well.
Without using text boxes, is there a way to have two columns start a certain
distance from the side and be maintained across multiple pages?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Sandra Grawunder wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In that situation, why not just increase the left margin? Your background
picture position can be corrected using the Advanced Layout to set its
position relative to the page rather than the margin.