CADMBFan CADMBFan is offline
Junior Member

Default Microsoft Word 2002 Template Table of Contents Problem

Hey,

I have created a template with a Table of Contents, and when I edit the template everything looks perfect, with correct page numbers in the TOC. However, when I try to create a new document based on this template, for some reason all of the page numbers in the TOC revert back to page 3 (the TOC is on page 6). If I right-click the table of contents and do an update field, it fixes the page numbers, but I have had people complain that the page numbers aren't automatically correct when they create a new document.

Have any of you come across this problem before? Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Chris
CADMBFan CADMBFan is offline
Junior Member

*Bump*

Can anyone help me with this? I really need to get this resolved
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi CADMBFan,

*Bump*

Can anyone help me with this? I really need to get this resolved

I don't see a question, or a problem description. So no, under these
circumstances, I don't think anyone can help you...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

CADMBFan CADMBFan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy M -WordMVP-
Hi CADMBFan,

*Bump*

Can anyone help me with this? I really need to get this resolved

I don't see a question, or a problem description. So no, under these
circumstances, I don't think anyone can help you...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

The problem was described in the initial post:

Hey,

I have created a template with a Table of Contents, and when I edit the template everything looks perfect, with correct page numbers in the TOC. However, when I try to create a new document based on this template, for some reason all of the page numbers in the TOC revert back to page 3 (the TOC is on page 6). If I right-click the table of contents and do an update field, it fixes the page numbers, but I have had people complain that the page numbers aren't automatically correct when they create a new document.

Have any of you come across this problem before? Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Thanks,

Chris

I have already made the only suggestion I could come up with.

"CADMBFan" wrote in message

Cindy M -WordMVP- Wrote:
Hi CADMBFan,
-

--
CADMBFan

Doug Robbins

Put an autonew macro in the template that contains the following code:

Dim TOC As Field
For Each TOC In ActiveDocument.Fields
If TOC.Type = wdFieldTOC Then
TOC.Update
End If
Next TOC

Or possible just

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

would be enough.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"CADMBFan" wrote in message

Cindy M -WordMVP- Wrote:
Hi CADMBFan,
-
[...]

Thumbs up

Doug -

Thank you so much for the help...it's working great! Wonder why M$ didn't do this by default?

~ Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Robbins
Put an autonew macro in the template that contains the following code:

Dim TOC As Field
For Each TOC In ActiveDocument.Fields
If TOC.Type = wdFieldTOC Then
TOC.Update
End If
Next TOC

Or possible just

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

would be enough.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"CADMBFan" wrote in message

Cindy M -WordMVP- Wrote:
Hi CADMBFan,
-
[...]

janebond21

I have had a similar problem to this one. When I save a document to the
desktop, the table of contents feature is fine, but once attached to an
email, all of the page numbers revert to page 2. I have noticed other posts
on this topic, and am wondering if it is a "bug" in the new Microsoft Office
Program. If not, does anyone know how to fix it other than making a TOC
manually?