Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
$70$ $70$ is offline

Default DIFFERENT documents: Markup & Track Changes Copy & Paste

Hello everyone! I work as a PA for 4 busy lawyers. They often ask the
impossible. The latest thing they asked, was for me to copy & paste the
markup and track changes from (a part from) one document into another
document. They simply receive a copy of the document, save it under a new
name, make their changes and send it back to me, asking me to put their
changes in the original document. If and when changes are limited, I can do
it myself. But is there a way around when you have huge portions of a
document in markup & track changes so you can copy & paste everything in a
swing? Thanks !
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What version of Word are you using?

========
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article , 70
@discussions.microsoft.com says...
Hello everyone! I work as a PA for 4 busy lawyers. They often ask the
impossible. The latest thing they asked, was for me to copy & paste the
markup and track changes from (a part from) one document into another
document. They simply receive a copy of the document, save it under a new
name, make their changes and send it back to me, asking me to put their
changes in the original document. If and when changes are limited, I can do
it myself. But is there a way around when you have huge portions of a
document in markup & track changes so you can copy & paste everything in a
swing? Thanks !

If you need to incorporate one set of changes, why do you need the
original document? The changed copy the lawyer sends back to you is the
original with his changes.

But, if you need to incorporate 4 sets of changes it gets more
difficult. You can use the Compare and Merge Documents command 4 times,
once for each changed document that is returned to you. Better yet, get
your lawyers to edit documents in series rather than in parallel, then
they can pass the same copy around.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
$70$ $70$ is offline

I'm not sure that the Compare & Merge command will keep visible the markup
and track changes of each of my 4 lawyers. I am afraid that using the Compare
& Merge command will in fact lose track of changes when applied succesively
to 4 different sets of changes (I mean, the newest one overriding the
previous ones, which would become automatically accepted; or at least
'undifferentiated', just like if it was only one set of changes instead of 3
sets). They really want to see, in the original document, all the markup &
changes they each made to their personal copies of the original (said copies
are saved under a different name, thus creating a whole new document).
Moreover, they want to recognize instantly who made what changes where (by
the color in which the changes come depending on the author). And for sure
there's no way in Earth they will be taking hints or suggestions from me,
like doing their editing in series. They insist that can be done, and it's my
job to do it; but I can't find a way around. Sorry!