Joseph McGuire

Default Making TOC Hyperlinks

An MVP Article explained how to set up Table of Content entries as
hyperlinks in Word 2000 by adding the switch "\h". This is a great function
and it worked quite well when I added it to the field codes for an existing
fairly large document, but only in Word 2000 (the document was originally
created a long time ago, probably in Word 95 or 97). I could not get it to
work when I tried it on a similar document in Word 2002. Is there a way to
accomplish the same thing in Word 2002 and 2003? (At the moment I use all
three on three different systems!)

--

Joe McGuire

Daiya Mitchell

Didn't some version set the default to control-click to follow the
hyperlink, instead of just click? It was probably Word 2002, that's when
they made all the interface changes.

On 4/19/05 10:12 AM, "Joseph McGuire" wrote:

An MVP Article explained how to set up Table of Content entries as
hyperlinks in Word 2000 by adding the switch "\h". This is a great function
and it worked quite well when I added it to the field codes for an existing
fairly large document, but only in Word 2000 (the document was originally
created a long time ago, probably in Word 95 or 97). I could not get it to
work when I tried it on a similar document in Word 2002. Is there a way to
accomplish the same thing in Word 2002 and 2003? (At the moment I use all
three on three different systems!)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Ah, I missed the fact that it was the behavior of the links that might be
confusing the user.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Joseph McGuire

Actually I did update. It was working all the time but I didn't know it!.
What I did not realize is that the hyperlinking works slightly differently
in the different versions of Word. It seems that in all three versions
(Word 2000,2002 and 2003) nothing in the TOC reveals the hyperlinking unless
you go to the web view. In Word 2000 merely clicking on the TOC entry seems
to be enough to take you to the appropriate spot in the text. In Word 2002
you have to know to use Ctrl + Click. In Word 2003 a little hint to use
Ctrl + Click shows up when hovering the cursor over any part of the TOC in
the Print Layout View .

Thanks for your many occasions of helping me and others!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The switch is the same in all versions since Word 2000. Did you update the
TOC after adding the switch

so
all may benefit.

"Joseph McGuire" wrote in message
An MVP Article explained how to set up Table of Content entries as
hyperlinks in Word 2000 by adding the switch "\h". This is a great

function
and it worked quite well when I added it to the field codes for an

existing
fairly large document, but only in Word 2000 (the document was

originally
created a long time ago, probably in Word 95 or 97). I could not get it

work when I tried it on a similar document in Word 2002. Is there a way

accomplish the same thing in Word 2002 and 2003? (At the moment I use

all
three on three different systems!)

--

Joe McGuire

You should be getting the ScreenTip (popup) in Word 2002 as well. If you
don't, it could be that you don't have ScreenTips enabled (View tab of Tools
| Options).

"Joseph McGuire" wrote in message
Actually I did update. It was working all the time but I didn't know it!.
What I did not realize is that the hyperlinking works slightly differently
in the different versions of Word. It seems that in all three versions
(Word 2000,2002 and 2003) nothing in the TOC reveals the hyperlinking

unless
you go to the web view. In Word 2000 merely clicking on the TOC entry

seems
to be enough to take you to the appropriate spot in the text. In Word

2002
you have to know to use Ctrl + Click. In Word 2003 a little hint to use
Ctrl + Click shows up when hovering the cursor over any part of the TOC in
the Print Layout View .

Thanks for your many occasions of helping me and others!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The switch is the same in all versions since Word 2000. Did you update

the
TOC after adding the switch

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Joseph McGuire" wrote in message
An MVP Article explained how to set up Table of Content entries as
hyperlinks in Word 2000 by adding the switch "\h". This is a great

function
and it worked quite well when I added it to the field codes for an

existing
fairly large document, but only in Word 2000 (the document was

originally
created a long time ago, probably in Word 95 or 97). I could not get

it
work when I tried it on a similar document in Word 2002. Is there a

way
accomplish the same thing in Word 2002 and 2003? (At the moment I use

all
three on three different systems!)

--

Joe McGuire

Joe McGuire

Indeed!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You should be getting the ScreenTip (popup) in Word 2002 as well. If you
don't, it could be that you don't have ScreenTips enabled (View tab of
Tools
| Options).

so
all may benefit.