Hokee

Default Irritating "Save" prompt when nothing has changed

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Iceman,

My experiece was this was only a problem when opening files on my desktop
(Office2002) that had been created on my laptop (Office2000). I suppose if
it is unchecked in the template then new files created would be unchecked.
You can run this macro to turn it off on all files in a directory:

Public Sub BatchToggleEmbedSmartTabs()

'Sets embeded SmartTag off in all files in a directory
Dim myFile As String
Dim PathToUse As String
Dim myDoc As Document
'Close any documents that may be open
If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If
'Get the folder containing the files
With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
PathToUse = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With

If Left(PathToUse, 1) = Chr(34) Then
PathToUse = Mid(PathToUse, 2, Len(PathToUse) - 2)
End If

myFile = Dir$(PathToUse & "*.*")

While myFile ""
'Open each file and toggle SmartTags
Set myDoc = Documents.Open(PathToUse & myFile)
With ActiveDocument
.EmbedSmartTags = False
End With
'Close the file, saving the changes.
myDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
myFile = Dir$()
Wend

End Sub

--
Greg Maxey
A peer in "peer to peer" support

ssiwirski wrote:
I have the same problem. This solution does seem to fix it,
however--is there any way to have "Embed Smart Tags" unchecked as the
default? Otherwise you have to do this on every offending document.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

Frank,

WRT the save changes prompt, this could be caused by
ToolsOptionsSaveEmbed SmartTags being checked in the offendeing
docuements.

--
Greg Maxey
A peer in "peer to peer" support
Rockledge, FL
To e-mail, edit out the "w...spam" in

F1 wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Word 2002 at work with WinXP and Word 2000 at home with
Win2KPro. Word 2002 has a very irritating feature which I haven't
so
far been able to get rid of via the usual help searches.

When I close a Word document, it always asks if I want to save my
changes, even when I haven't made any. Word 2000 doesn't do this.
Word 2002 also opens a blank document every time, as well as the
document I want.

How can I stop Word from asking me if I want to save non-existent
changes every time I close it?

Thanks in advance,
Frank