Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rich58

Default Find and Replace - Period and space at end of sentence

Have a very large document. Sentences end with a period and a space. Want
to change this to a period and space space. I have been able to FIND the
sequence with ".space[A-Z]" but have not been able to insert the extra
period. Note that I only want to insert the extra space when and if the
following character after the space is a capital Alpha. Some entries in the
document are in the form of ".space#" For example, See spot run.spaceHow now
brown cow. TO See spot run.spacespaceHow now brown cow.

Thanks,
Rich58
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

And I'm the one who ends up deleting out that extra space from everyone
else's documents.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Rich58" wrote in message
Have a very large document. Sentences end with a period and a space.
Want
to change this to a period and space space. I have been able to FIND the
sequence with ".space[A-Z]" but have not been able to insert the extra
period. Note that I only want to insert the extra space when and if the
following character after the space is a capital Alpha. Some entries in
the
document are in the form of ".space#" For example, See spot run.spaceHow
now
brown cow. TO See spot run.spacespaceHow now brown cow.

Thanks,
Rich58

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Replace
(. )([A-Z])
or more likely
([.!?:] )([A-Z])
with
\1 \2
(there's a space between \1 and \2!)

See http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Personally I think this a fool's errand. Double spacing of this type is a
throwback to the days of the manual typewriter.
If you persist, you must also think about adding spacing after other forms
of punctuation. If you want to format your document properly with double
spaces everywhere they are required for consistency, there may be no way to
do it automatically.

Rich58 wrote:
Have a very large document. Sentences end with a period and a space.
Want to change this to a period and space space. I have been able to
FIND the sequence with ".space[A-Z]" but have not been able to
insert the extra period. Note that I only want to insert the extra
space when and if the following character after the space is a
capital Alpha. Some entries in the document are in the form of
".space#" For example, See spot run.spaceHow now brown cow. TO See
spot run.spacespaceHow now brown cow.

Thanks,
Rich58

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeanne M

JoAnn: Found your response while searching for way to delete the extra space.
I'm the culprit and have been told to quit doing double space after
punc...Is there a way to use AutoText or AutoCorrect to do this for me? I
can't seem to get them to accept "spacespace" as something that should be
replaced with "space"

Thanks.